thatdemo64

Thatdemo64 - Team Fortress 2

Do you know of a better way for me to get back on the server at this point? Unless you do, arguing and standing up for myself in this forum is the only and best way to go about it.

A very unjustified and unfair price at that. Perma-banning is not the the way to go just because of the use of a taunt, even with the few warnings. I love the server, I said I wouldn't do it anymore and I came and appealed. There is no reason this perma ban should continue forever.

You've been warned multiple times. Regardless of the exploit you did, at the end of the day it was still an exploit and you should be punished for breaking rules.

If you want to get unbanned you can refer to what @virr posted.

Ok ok I get it. No more meet the medic taunt in the water. I won't do that anymore. I should be unbanned.

Not how it works, sweetheart.

-1, if you were told time and time again that you must stop doing this "certain thing," especially when you care so much about the platform where you can be punished. Feel free to check the other ways of getting unbanned, as I do not see you getting unbanned because you apologized.

I would refer to this post if your protest does not go through.

While I find the user's attitude toward this whole ordeal rather rude, I do have to raise a concern I have seen time and time again when it comes to ban times. According to the user's ban page, I am only seeing one occasion in which the user was banned for a day for exploitation (07-19-16) before being banned permanently once again for exploitation (04-08-17). With that in mind, we do have a process that has stood the test of time which has always been: a warning > gag/mute > kick > day ban > week ban > permanent ban. However, unless I'm mistaken, the user was never banned for a week due to exploitation.

To quote myself from another Ban Protest which is relevant to this situation:

... [if my understanding is correct] if Players are being given extended ban times based on any ban they previously had' date=' regardless of the context of the ban, that seems a tad bit excessive.[/quote']

To put context into this, the user was given an extended ban-time based on the fact that he/she had broken Server rules; however, the extension was based on an unrelated rule that was broken and so the user was unfairly punished.

Ban times do stack, however this is only the case when the offender is breaking the same rule more than once (assuming this is the case here as no week ban was given for a repeated offense) within a reasonable amount of time. With that in mind, the user was banned for a day in 2016, and was then permanently banned this year for "exploiting" again; I do not see how this falls under the same category given that amount of buffer time in between (provided that it's a minor inconvenience and could easily be forgotten), but I digress.

That all being said, regardless of the user's attitude on this whole thing, I see no reason to dish out a permanent ban when there is an absence of a week-ban to begin with. While I may not have any sort of association with the TF2 Division, I'd still like to +1 for a reduced ban time to a week based on what I have provided in this post. Whether or not my vouch will count is up to the Higher-Ups

While I find the user's attitude toward this whole ordeal rather rude, I do have to raise a concern I have seen time and time again when it comes to ban times. According to the user's ban page, I am only seeing one occasion in which the user was banned for a day for exploitation (07-19-16) before being banned permanently once again for exploitation (04-08-17). With that in mind, we do have a process that has stood the test of time which has always been: a warning > gag/mute > kick > day ban > week ban > permanent ban. However, unless I'm mistaken, the user was never banned for a week due to exploitation.

To quote myself from another Ban Protest which is relevant to this situation:

To put context into this, the user was given an extended ban-time based on the fact that he/she had broken Server rules; however, the extension was based on an unrelated rule that was broken and so the user was unfairly punished.

Ban times do stack, however this is only the case when the offender is breaking the same rule more than once (assuming this is the case here as no week ban was given for a repeated offense) within a reasonable amount of time. With that in mind, the user was banned for a day in 2016, and was then permanently banned this year for "exploiting" again; I do not see how this falls under the same category given that amount of buffer time in between (provided that it's a minor inconvenience and could easily be forgotten), but I digress.

That all being said, regardless of the user's attitude on this whole thing, I see no reason to dish out a permanent ban when there is an absence of a week-ban to begin with. While I may not have any sort of association with the TF2 Division, I'd still like to +1 for a reduced ban time to a week based on what I have provided in this post. Whether or not my vouch will count is up to the Higher-Ups

I was really sure that all of his bans were for the same thing, since I know I have warned him way too many times about this exploit. Most of the time he would do it up to a kick, then stop or leave. My mistake, I'll lower the ban to a week.

-Closed.

Edit: After talking with higher ups for a bit, we have realized this kind of system is incredibly abusable, as one person could just go down the line breaking rules and never really receive too harsh of a punishment. After looking over how other staff have done their bans for the longest time, I have realized that they have all really done the same thing, so there is really no reason why we should give this user special treatment. The user chose to ride down the punishment line to a permanent ban, and that is how it will stay until we discuss it further. I will open the thread back up for more feedback, but I do truly believe the user should stay permanently banned.

Edited by Vexx (see edit history)

After talking with higher ups for a bit, we have realized this kind of system is incredibly abusable, as one person could just go down the line breaking rules and never really receive too harsh of a punishment.

In the time that I have been here with Xeno Gamers, this has never once occurred for any Player as the likelihood of this is so incredibly rare that no one in their right mind would waste their time doing it. That being said, if Staff have been incorrectly enforcing rules/regulations, I don't believe the solution to be a "Whoops, our bad. Let's just change the rules because we've been doing it this way forever." as this practically wipes away the integrity of what was essentially put in place and was the foundation for nearly everything punishment related.

I sincerely hope that this will not become a common occurrence where instead of correcting a problem by placing it back on track, it is instead built around these constant changes. At this point, the rules/regulations are being bent and contorted to whatever the Moderators/Administrators see fit as punishment which can result in completely skewed and biased bans or ban times in general. The reason the step-by-step process is there is to ensure that all Players receive the same punishment and treatment to eliminate any sort of bias. The fact still remains that this Player should have been banned for a week at the most. Worst comes to worse, the Player gets permanently banned afterwards and at this point there will be 0 reason to serve out another chance.

With that all said, I completely respect the decision of the Higher-Ups to either re-evaluate or alter the rules; I only ask that they be altered in a way that will still present an unbiased form of punishment for Players.

In the time that I have been here with Xeno Gamers, this has never once occurred for any Player as the likelihood of this is so incredibly rare that no one in their right mind would waste their time doing it. That being said, if Staff have been incorrectly enforcing rules/regulations, I don't believe the solution to be a "Whoops, our bad. Let's just change the rules because we've been doing it this way forever." as this practically wipes away the integrity of what was essentially put in place and was the foundation for nearly everything punishment related.

I sincerely hope that this will not become a common occurrence where instead of correcting a problem by placing it back on track, it is instead built around these constant changes. At this point, the rules/regulations are being bent and contorted to whatever the Moderators/Administrators see fit as punishment which can result in completely skewed and biased bans or ban times in general. The reason the step-by-step process is there is to ensure that all Players receive the same punishment and treatment to eliminate any sort of bias. The fact still remains that this Player should have been banned for a week at the most. Worst comes to worse, the Player gets permanently banned afterwards and at this point there will be 0 reason to serve out another chance.

With that all said, I completely respect the decision of the Higher-Ups to either re-evaluate or alter the rules; I only ask that they be altered in a way that will still present an unbiased form of punishment for Players.

The system nearly all staff (as far as I know) are using is Warn, Gag/Mute/, Kick, Day, Week, Month, Perm, regardless of the differences between the rules that they have previously broken. For example, if someone gets banned for a day for micspam, they could get banned for a week for trolling. Changing the system to make it so this person isn't banned for as long would be altering the banning system that we should be using right now so I think a perm is justifiable for now unless the higherups want to have a discussion about the banning system we are currently using.

The system nearly all staff (as far as I know) are using is Warn, Gag/Mute/, Kick, Day, Week, Month, Perm

In some cases you can do an hour ban before day for minor rules. Forgot to mention that

We do have a process. Even though the user did not break the same rule every time, he still broke the rules enough down the chain to a permanent ban. After looking it over, the admin handbook never explicitly says how to go with ban times and the way they should be handled for repeat offenses, so I'm going to guess that is left with staff discretion. No rules were changed, the only recent change on the guide was a spelling mistake. My original post about closing the thread was typed up when I had just woken up, so unfortunately I was not thinking straight. With how we have been doing it, no bias is present, every user gets the same amount of chances. If it is too hard for people to understand that breaking the rules many times will result in a permanent ban, no matter the offense, then maybe we should really change things. I do believe every person should have the same amount of chances, so that bias does not exist.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Let me just say that making a ban protest doesn't automatically get you banned. Each ban protest is treated as a special case and is determined as such.

Making posts throughout the thread like: "I won't do it again. Unban me." doesn't really make your case better.

I will say however, that a perm is a bit overkill. For anyone who is actually curious to his previous bans, here: Xeno Gamers

He's be banned for exploits and calladmin abuse. Personally, a shorter length ban would have been more than fine. If he came back after being banned again for exploiting, just to continue doing so, then perm should follow suit.

Also, I want to tack on, that I never based their ban time on their previous bans as a whole. I would look over them, sure, but banning for continuous trolling versus exploits is different time decisions. Obviously this guy may be different from the rest of the people that are banned, but figured just give some food for thought on this statement.