Forest

Forum Updates - Suggestions

So, I'm curious to know as I've noticed that whenever a mass closure of Member Subs (Accepted/Declined) happens, it ends up completely filling the New Posts section of the Forums. I realize that it isn't common for this to happen, but it does happen every month or so and it completely buries all other threads (in general, not just Member Subs) which can effectively shut down the visibility of a thread or anything.

I'm wondering if there was some sort of change or function that could be implemented for Higher-Ups to utilize when dealing with the closure of a Member Submission? As an example, maybe a checkbox of sorts [Accepted/Declined] that will notify the user who posted the thread that their Application was Accepted or Declined that only Higher-Ups could access?

In other words, anything that could effectively replace a Higher-Up from actually posting in the thread (thus bumping it in Recent Posts) to prevent excess bumping of Member Submissions and the burying of other [un]related posts/threads @Rhododendron @Aegean

EDIT: @virr raised a good point that the "Delete thread" process could be re-worked or otherwise improved on for this sort of thing as it notifies the User. Is there a way this could be utilized for new options such as "Accepted" or "Declined" that closes the thread and notifies?

There should be a sub forum as a reference

Locked but visible to all, any locked member application declined/accepted would be moved there.

Quoting myself from a previous thread (source) because this is somewhat relevant to the whole "make a new board" concept. Also, I'm not sure how anyone could possibly be "off-topic" when posting in the General section of forums.

As Silence so eloquently put it: [ATTACH=full]28343[/ATTACH]

As for the whole anonymous board, it's pretty well exactly as Silence put it back in the day; a 'Bad Idea'. The concept was that it would allow Players to speak out against abusive Staff without fear of being judged or scorned. That being said, it just turned into a place where people would fling insults, flame each other, and just spawn racist or offensive shit-storms that no gaming community would want to be associated with. I don't think it would be the best idea unless rules were to be put in place that rule against any derogatory, offensive or graphic content; however, even then I would still be hesitant because we're a Gaming community, not a discussion forum for Politics/Religion/etc. If anything, see if you can convince @Rhododendron to create a separate blog or something for that kind of content. The Xeno Gamers' forums should remain focused around gaming and other creative interests in my opinion :coffee:

Mmmm, good point

Lol, I'll probably be spammed with disagree ratings on this one, but how about we let people buy custom emojis? Like you'll donate something between one and five dollars to get your customized emoji :emoji_cat2:. (Great way to waste money IMO).

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Lol, I'll probably be spammed with disagree ratings on this one, but how about we let people buy custom emojis? Like you'll donate something between one and five dollars to get your customized emoji :emoji_cat2:. (Great way to waste money IMO).

Maybe you can donate for your own badge?

That's tunas idea

Is there any way to customize a Member's post-background? Lately been thinking of a "premium" feature to be donated for that includes exclusive content/features/perks; perhaps one that times out after a certain period of time?

To elaborate further on this:

1-Day/Trial Period - User is given 24 hours upon donation of a set-number ($1 or even free trial period, one time use per forum account) that enables access to premium Membership perks

1 Month Period - User is given 30 days upon donation of a set-dollar amount

1 Year Period - User is given 365 days upon donation of a set-dollar amount

Premium features are TBA, though it should be discussed in detail before enacting any sort of feature ahead-of-time. Generate the hype, so to speak.

That being said, this all heavily relies on whether or not it is even possible pending @Rhododendron 's response

So basically, from what I can think of, these would be the areas affected:

• Upon donation, user would receive permissions/access to otherwise "locked" features of the forums (for a pending period of time)
    • This can include [but is not limited to]
      • Custom emoji set(?)
      • Customizable background of post(?)
      • Custom ratings(?)
      • ???

Obviously this is by no-means a final product; this is merely the conceptual stage. With a feature like this, it will promote exclusivity which in and of itself is already desirable (hence popularity in Servers with exclusive hats/trails/etc).

Additionally, this may also rake in more donations; and theoretically, the credits system could even be utilized instead of donations which can potentially bolster activity in Members of the community seeing as how they would have something to work for via posting, etc. This would give Members the option of donating for credits to purchase premium Membership, or to simply deliver incentive by working for it to accumulate credits through regular use of the forums.

Though to re-iterate, this hinges on whether such a feature is even possible.

Edited by Forest (see edit history)

Is there any way to customize a Member's post-background? Lately been thinking of a "premium" feature to be donated for that includes exclusive content/features/perks; perhaps one that times out after a certain period of time?

To elaborate further on this:

1-Day/Trial Period - User is given 24 hours upon donation of a set-number ($1 or even free trial period, one time use per forum account) that enables access to premium Membership perks

1 Month Period - User is given 30 days upon donation of a set-dollar amount

1 Year Period - User is given 365 days upon donation of a set-dollar amount

Premium features are TBA, though it should be discussed in detail before enacting any sort of feature ahead-of-time. Generate the hype, so to speak.

That being said, this all heavily relies on whether or not it is even possible pending @Rhododendron 's response

So basically, from what I can think of, these would be the areas affected:

• Upon donation, user would receive permissions/access to otherwise "locked" features of the forums (for a pending period of time)
    • This can include [but is not limited to]
      • Custom emoji set(?)
      • Customizable background of post(?)
      • Custom ratings(?)
      • ???

Obviously this is by no-means a final product; this is merely the conceptual stage. With a feature like this, it will promote exclusivity which in and of itself is already desirable (hence popularity in Servers with exclusive hats/trails/etc).

Additionally, this may also rake in more donations; and theoretically, the credits system could even be utilized instead of donations which can potentially bolster activity in Members of the community seeing as how they would have something to work for via posting, etc. This would give Members the option of donating for credits to purchase premium Membership, or to simply deliver incentive by working for it to accumulate credits through regular use of the forums.

Though to re-iterate, this hinges on whether such a feature is even possible.

With emoji's (or smilies as they are called on the forum) they are just there for quick access and nothing really prevents people from just attaching an image to a post.

With custom ratings I would have to code up some custom code so if we get an influx of custom ratings then a user's profile won't show a giant list of ratings since that could cause issues.

I rather not let people set backgrounds of their post (will definitely cause readability issues) but I could enable covers and backgrounds for profiles and it displays on their member card wherever they want. I'll get that working in the next few weeks and let everyone set the color of their profile background and cover and you can purchase the ability to set an image as your cover and background.

With emoji's (or smilies as they are called on the forum) they are just there for quick access and nothing really prevents people from just attaching an image to a post.

With custom ratings I would have to code up some custom code so if we get an influx of custom ratings then a user's profile won't show a giant list of ratings since that could cause issues.

I rather not let people set backgrounds of their post (will definitely cause readability issues) but I could enable covers and backgrounds for profiles and it displays on their member card wherever they want. I'll get that working in the next few weeks and let everyone set the color of their profile background and cover and you can purchase the ability to set an image as your cover and background.

I've always wanted custom backgrounds, pls make it happen. I don't think custom ratings is a good idea at all and would probably just be annoying.

@Rhododendron hey its that time of the year where the forums look like the bad side of etsy

ai.imgur.com_yvDu8SO.thumb.png.fe1401aa16fe966940cdd975a20f3145.png

can you replace these with aesthetic night time tokyo pictures thx

@Rhododendron hey its that time of the year where the forums look like the bad side of etsy

[attach=full]29775[/attach]

>Using light theme

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

[attach=full]29775[/attach]

Find me some lol I just added them for the hell of it.