Forest

Regarding The Calladmin Plugin

These guys were comparing staff members to policemen.

Policemen get paid because it's their job, my point was that this is a fairly bad comparison because we do this voluntarily. Therefore stopping what you're currently doing just to get on and see that no admin is needed there is pretty frustrating. You get what I mean?

i was joking about mods not getting paid.

I think getting a day ban is sending calladmin abusers a stronger message to not do it again as well as sending everyone else the message that abusing the plugin is not xd funni memes. That said, I think we could try new things and decide to change it back later if we find the suggestion does not work out all that well because as they say, hindsight is 20/20. I will stay neutral for now on changing it because while I have nothing against trying out new ideas we do already have a system that works well for our purposes.

The problem I've found with server bans is people get pissed off and come back then do something worse. Or don't come back at all and you lose server population. It seems like both the player and the moderator is losing out in this situation. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone was winning and there was less issues? There's always going to be kids that need to taught a lesson, but how you do it plays a big role as whether or not "It hits home." or "They just get pissed off." There's a delicate balance to moderating that can increase effectiveness.

I think @Bello knows how server cvars work. Would a simple 1 for on and 0 for off work good?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Nah, I think silencing people for a day would possibly even turn abusing calladmin into a trend on our servers, given how much of a troll most of our players are. Doing that for a week would be harsher than a day ban also, which is why I personally think we should just keep our current system

My suggestion for abusing call admin, would be instead of a full day ban for the first time, for it to be changed to 1 hour > 1 day > 1 week accordingly. I don't think silence is a good response to someone abusing call admin, and a 1 hour ban will let people come back the same day and instead of potentially not come back the day after. If he continues his call admin bs, then just ban him for a day and he probably won't come back on 24 hours later just to get banned again.

My suggestion for abusing call admin, would be instead of a full day ban for the first time, for it to be changed to 1 hour > 1 day > 1 week accordingly. I don't think silence is a good response to someone abusing call admin, and a 1 hour ban will let people come back the same day and instead of potentially not come back the day after. If he continues his call admin bs, then just ban him for a day and he probably won't come back on 24 hours later just to get banned again.

It would cause a bigger burden to have to keep track of every calladmin abuser to ban them accordingly, for that matter we'd probably be handing out 1 hour bans which would just not really be enough

(People could literally just abuse calladmin if they wanna take a break and then come back not caring about the ban

I don't see why you guys wanna change it anyway, we don't really have many players that come back from a day ban to break further rules, and we don't have all that many people abusing the calladmin anyway, which I thank the day ban system for

Nah, I think silencing people for a day would possibly even turn abusing calladmin into a trend on our servers, given how much of a troll most of our players are. Doing that for a week would be harsher than a day ban also, which is why I personally think we should just keep our current system

You do know silence durations are custom right? There is no fixation on the length that must be set for a silence, much like a ban. It could theoretically be dynamic right down to the minute. So something like 2 days, 5 hours and 15 minutes would work, even though seemingly pointless beyond the accuracy of a single day. I don't understand why you used the comparison of one week and one day; while leaving 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 days on the picture.

I don't see why you guys wanna change it anyway... and we don't have all that many people abusing the calladmin anyway, which I thank the day ban system for

With restrictions you can enforce rules more effectively. The biggest issue with bans is damage and stronger limitations on length. It doesn't hurt to have the restrictions, even if you don't always use them, because it gives moderators more resources to resolve a given conflict. If a moderator isn't sure about banning, can always meet in the middle with a silence.

(People could literally just abuse calladmin if they wanna take a break and then come back not caring about the ban

What about silencing them for one day on-top of a one hour ban? They'd be punished for abusing it and wouldn't be able to use it again for one day. (they've have restricted server access) I've used dual punishment as a transition before, with silences and bans. It's actually more effective than just banning someone out-right and cuts back on ban lengths.

p.s This can be automated with a single command. And is LESS work for moderators setting as reason and length could be auto-filled. Example: !AbusedCallAdmin Vertex.

Edited by Vertex (see edit history)

You do know silence durations are custom right? There is not fixation on the length that must be set for a silence, much like a ban. It could theoretically be dynamic right down to the minute. So something like 2 days, 5 hours and 15 minutes would work, even though seemingly pointless beyond the accuracy of a single day. I don't understand where you got the comparison of one week and one day; while leaving 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 days on the picture.

the point wasnt whether it being 1 day, 1 week or whatever else, i really just meant that i find the idea of silencing for abusing calladmin unnecessary, and imo a day or less than a day would be inadequate and anything more than a day would be more harsh and irritating than a day ban itself

What about silencing them for one day on-top of a one hour ban? They'd be punished for abusing it and wouldn't be able to use it again for one day. And would care if they came back. I've used dual punishment as a transition before, with silences and bans. It's actually more effective than just banning someone out-right and cuts back on ban lengths.

this could be a good idea, but i just don't see the necessity for any change

if anything has to be done, i'll go with the idea of both banning for an hour/a few hours and silencing the player for a day

but then again, i really think it's unnecessary

but then again, i really think it's unnecessary

xG just reached 18000 total bans casted a few days ago.

Is this something to be proud of? And if so, what has changed?

Is there any less rule breakers? And if not, do you plan on keeping moderation the same?

If yes, is the definition of insanity "trying the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result"?

over 6-7 years. never cleaned out. including your mass group bans, admins trollbanning themselves/eachother, random hackers joining and getting instabanned, etc...

this really isn't a good point

Is this something to be proud of? And if so, what has changed?

also you just suggested that we should both ban and silence at the same time, which would make no difference in the amount of bans

i really don't see your point, that's just contradictory to your earlier post