Thorax_

[Poll] Hybrid Warning Concept

What do you think?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• No
    • Yes
    • Change it up a bit and it would be okay

Yeah I've definitely faced that problem before so it would be nice if they implemented a system that if you like type @ the person's name in the warn it would save the warn and tell it to any staff member who joins for a certain amount of time before ending after a while, kinda like the ban save system that we have now but it only shows up for a limited amount of time.

Wait, whats so bad about giving someone multiple warnings? Punishments shouldnt follow a set system and should 100% be based on the context of the offense. For example, when dealing with slurs and/or spam, i only remember going past a mute once during my entire mod-admin period. We simply muted/gagged and then moved on. The fact that people can be banned for spamming is honestly kinda silly in my opinion.

As for @TheSupremePatriot's suggestion. I you're trying too hard to shove the warning into peoples faces. If they ignore the warning it's their fault if they get punished, not ours.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Wait, whats so bad about giving someone multiple warnings? Punishments shouldnt follow a set system and should 100% be based on the context of the offense.

Oh what I meant by that is like if someone's obviously ignoring what you said and is trying to just do this then you shouldn't have to give them another warning automatically and just see them laugh it off and continue for a bit. I get like saying the warning a few times in chat to get your point across in case they missed it

As for @TheSupremePatriot's suggestion. I you're trying too hardshove the warning into peoples faces. If they ignore the warning it's their fault if they get punished, not ours.

This is true, yes... but when it starts to result in population loss because they think they didn’t do anything wrong and as mentioned might ignore the kick message come back (or not) and do it again, get banned and never come back. This hurts us as we loose players that might have or might not of made an honest mistake. I sometimes miss the notices other staff members or donators put up. It’s just not in a direct line of view where the player is really focusing.

This would grab their attention and be easier to read.

Surf is the server that gets the most punishments dealt in. If you notice how many times within the last 6 months that I (and other surf staff) have had to ban people, you would realize how critical something like this could be, even a test run would be grand.

All it is is a new messaging method in addition to the standard ones we currently have.

Again with the format, I’m sorry :c

This is true, yes... but when it starts to result in population loss because they think they didn’t do anything wrong and as mentioned might ignore the kick message come back (or not) and do it again, get banned and never come back. This hurts us as we loose players that might have or might not of made an honest mistake. I sometimes miss the notices other staff members or donators put up. It’s just not in a direct line of view where the player is really focusing.

This would grab their attention and be easier to read.

Surf is the server that gets the most punishments dealt in. If you notice how many times within the last 6 months that I (and other surf staff) have had to ban people, you would realize how critical something like this could be, even a test run would be grand.

I agree that surf has a lot of punishments and something like this would be nice in SOME cases. But like @virr said, if they don't read our chat warnings and they get in trouble that's their own problem. Most times (in my experience at least), people just flat out ignore anyone saying anything and carry on with their business, only way they listen at all is when they get kicked/banned(and come back after the ban). Not too sure if it would really help much in the end, most staff have mics, if they don't listen to the chat warning, give a verbal warning then do a kick/ban/whatever. From that point on its the offender's fault for not listening.

I would agree more down the lines of what @Bone said, and just make the @ chat color stand out more so it's easier for people to read.

I agree that surf has a lot of punishments and something like this would be nice in SOME cases. But like @virr said, if they don't read our chat warnings and they get in trouble that's their own problem. Most times (in my experience at least), people just flat out ignore anyone saying anything and carry on with their business, only way they listen at all is when they get kicked/banned(and come back after the ban). Not too sure if it would really help much in the end, most staff have mics, if they don't listen to the chat warning, give a verbal warning then do a kick/ban/whatever. From that point on its the offender's fault for not listening.

I would agree more down the lines of what @Bone said, and just make the @ chat color stand out more so it's easier for people to read.

You're able to disable both voice and text chats. I do that all the time when I play on non-xg servers. I used that while I wasn't staff. So if they have chat disabled, this would be the best choice. Even though it is really in your face, it's helpful to those who disable text/voice. I've noticed quite a few staff haven't taken to warning in both voice and text, something that is now required.

I verbally warn and use MSAY and All chat.

Msay most people just click a key to get it off their screen so they can switch weapons.

Hence why we make no the first option in vote menus to prevent people from just closing them while unwillingly saying yes to the vote.

This would not be closeable until the countdown is concluded.

A trial run is usually available for new suggestions, it doesn’t hurt to test things as they sometimes do work out really well.

Edited by TheSupremePatriot (see edit history)

You're able to disable both voice and text chats. I do that all the time when I play on non-xg servers. I used that while I wasn't staff. So if they have chat disabled, this would be the best choice. Even though it is really in your face, it's helpful to those who disable text/voice.

Yeah I know you can disable all that stuff, thats why I said in some cases this would be helpful, however my point still stands. If they don't see our warnings and get punished accordingly, that is their own fault, not ours.

+1 for trial run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eElr_1HKUZI

Hybrid Warning Concept v2

>>Video slowed down for the reason that I didn't want to manually make 10 slides to create the full countdown....

I mean, that looks much better than blocking the entire screen, but there's a few issues...

Overlays can't be customized. They're essentially texture files that would be shown to a player on command use. So having [staff member name here] and [Reason here] wouldn't be possible unless you made 15 different overlays with different reasons, and 15 different commands. So it'd look like this:

>!hwarn (target) (warning number from 1 - 15) (duration)

Duration also wouldn't work on an animated overlay, as it would just play the animation and not slow it down or anything. A single image texture would be better for that.

All in all, I feel it's more work than it's worth. Considering we'd have to not only make overlay textures, but also a plugin to use them, and probably some kind of menu option so we don't have to type it out every time.

When compared to how we do it now, it's a heck of a lot faster just to type @Stop micspamming, dingus

I mean, that looks much better than blocking the entire screen, but there's a few issues...

Overlays can't be customized. They're essentially texture files that would be shown to a player on command use. So having [staff member name here] and [Reason here] wouldn't be possible unless you made 15 different overlays with different reasons, and 15 different commands. So it'd look like this:

>!hwarn (target) (warning number from 1 - 15) (duration)

Duration also wouldn't work on an animated overlay, as it would just play the animation and not slow it down or anything. A single image texture would be better for that.

All in all, I feel it's more work than it's worth. Considering we'd have to not only make overlay textures, but also a plugin to use them, and probably some kind of menu option so we don't have to type it out every time.

When compared to how we do it now, it's a heck of a lot faster just to type @Stop micspamming, dingus

I just animated it for the concept.

Also, keep in mind this is just an idea. I’m not fully aware of the limitations of Sourcemod and Source Engine so my concept most likely would have been “too good to be true”.

But something kind of like this would be splendid. Maybe we can clone the MSAY code and make it show up in the center top kind of where CSAY shows but be a box sized like HSAY and the box would not be very transparent like the current ones are. The font would also be bold if thats even possible. This is basically just a more convenient location and probably could be {/hwarn <player> <message>}. This would make it so its not on everyones screen, is in the range of view that slightly obstructs the players vision but doesnt interrupt gameplay as it would still be transparent but not much.

5aa4c5aa12140_ScreenShot2017-10-08at10_02_12PM.thumb.png.925642f7d272026aa3ae2c85bacbdde2.png

I just animated it for the concept.

Also, keep in mind this is just an idea. I’m not fully aware of the limitations of Sourcemod and Source Engine so my concept most likely would have been “too good to be true”.

But something kind of like this would be splendid. Maybe we can clone the MSAY code and make it show up in the center top kind of where CSAY shows but be a box sized like HSAY and the box would not be very transparent like the current ones are. The font would also be bold if thats even possible. This is basically just a more convenient location and probably could be {/hwarn <player> <message>}. This would make it so its not on everyones screen, is in the range of view that slightly obstructs the players vision but doesnt interrupt gameplay as it would still be transparent but not much.

[ATTACH]32366[/ATTACH]

So pretty much take strips of code from multiple say commands and change the opacity of the box to the point where it is borderline opaque?

From what I'm gathering, this is a thread - without a vote to see any result mind you - that we can discuss for the idea of an extreme warn. If this is correct, then I believe it should be said that the warn implied is exactly what it seems: extreme. It takes up a major part of the players screen (in both parts and models), and tells the player strictly and in their face that they have broken one or multiple rule(s). This isnt a bad idea, at all. It gives staff the perfect chance to give information to even the most stubborn people who even turn off their chat and voice comms (the problems with this are too many, but alas). However, the defense of the system is coming across as poor, and I can see why. The system has nothing much hidden in itself, which is grand for when you're trying to get a player that refuses to look at chat or listen and keeps on thinking they are high and mighty. It tells them immediately that they are doing wrong and should stop before punishment is handed out. However. The problems also arise BECAUSE the player thinks that they can do whatever they want. We cannot, as staff, just think that if we follow the warning procedure as strict as possible, we will get or message across. Multiple warnings should be goven out to any player before any action is taken. And for the special players who turn off communications, sucks for them. It is their fault that they don't attempt to listen to anybody and do what they want. We shouldn't have or want to bend just for a small portion of our population. So in all honesty, the idea is cool and all, but who needs it? We should not be accountable because somebody closed out of the motd when they came in, or never read the rules that pop up when you come in, and think that the server is theirs to play in. Because its not their server for them to play in. Its our server, which we allow them to experience.

People who are getting punished without knowing why lies on the staff not getting their attention, but sometimes people say "why did I get kicked' just to meme even though they know full well they are breaking rules.

Regardless, I know your intent is good and the benefits of something like this (if possible) but with our current staff I just don't think it's necessary even if it was easy to implement :emoji_smile:

Edited by Aegean (see edit history)

it'd be fairly easy to implement something like this using hud text afaik, you could make it as annoying/intrusive as you want, or it could just be in the corner of your screen. I didnt read this whole thread, but it seems like for something like that you could have it stay on the screen until the player acknowledges it by typing some command, just to make sure they read it.

That being said I have 0 time to actually make that, so someone else would have to do it or it'd have to wait for a long time

it'd be fairly easy to implement something like this using hud text afaik, you could make it as annoying/intrusive as you want, or it could just be in the corner of your screen. I didnt read this whole thread, but it seems like for something like that you could have it stay on the screen until the player acknowledges it by typing some command, just to make sure they read it.

That being said I have 0 time to actually make that, so someone else would have to do it or it'd have to wait for a long time

Yeah, that’s a good idea! Typing a word or phrase to acknowledge it is fair as it allows them to have no excuse in not having a chance to read it or accidentally exit it. That is really neat!

I’m not rushing this, whatever works the best! It can wait, I am not a coder but I could take a peek in the coding for SM say commands and see if I can tweak it a bit just for the time being :p

Thanks for the input ^w^