Vexx

A Post Concerning Our Current Cm's

Sure, I'm down!

Perhaps we could start by polling the community. Let's hold an open forum to kick ideas around for what we could do with the unused servers. Maybe we can try some new gamemodes or something! :D

*cough* Dodgeball *cough*

This doesn't really help. -_-

I mean looking at your post history there is an area that could be improved upon. Even if you feel like there is nothing to do doesn't mean you should basically disappear. Its not really and excuse. I would like to see ALL of the CM's be more involved in forum discussions so we as a community can see all of you and you have a presence. Most of the new people probably don't know who some of you guys are. Nomulous has never really had a forum presence but has been a behind the scenes guy. You and @kbraszzz used to have pretty good forum activity but now its pretty much disappeared. As a CM I don't think you should have to be necessarily be told what you need to be doing, but you should be looking yourself on how to make the community better. Whether is playing on the servers, host a community night, post on the forums more regularly. These are things you can be doing instead of whats happened. One thing is that I don't think that all CM's should necessarily have great server knowledge or coding experience but there should be at least better mix of server side fixes from the CM's and putting your faces out there and there and lately there has been a severe lack of the latter from the CM position. I think there should be changes to the higher staff if this continues.

I got two things to say. After I say this thread is valid AF

1. Both scoot and kb were given staff and rose theough the ranks because of their judgement, not coding ability. Dealing with community issues and not server issues is their forte. If we don't have many community issues, they don't have much to do.

2. I'm fine with CM being a role that uses their proven superior judgement and maturity in the community when major issues arise, and I'm fine with them doing more. We just need to be more clear about what xG sees the role as.

CM's should literally be active in discussions with the community as a number 1. This means being on servers, forums and teamspeak occasionally and actually managing the community lol. Make threads, share ideas, ask for ideas etc. It's always better to have more than 1 person to start these kinds of discussions every once in a while so we don't remain stale.

CM's should literally be active in discussions with the community as a number 1. This means being on servers, forums and teamspeak occasionally and actually managing the community lol. Make threads, share ideas, ask for ideas etc. It's always better to have more than 1 person to start these kinds of discussions every once in a while so we don't remain stale.

I'm gonna be honest, the CM rank, or "role" sounds almost no different from what a DM/DL would do on a normal day.

Sticking to and "representing" (I assume something along those lines) a specific division, forwarding ideas and problems to leaders as necessary and so on unlike the previous CL position which "represented" the entire clan and was only useful for ending drama-inducing threads.

This also seems to be the same idea here, but people are looking for other reasons after already creating them.

Things like this sound rather vague and confusing unless there's a clear set-in-stone reason or duty for them. Forgive me if I seem ignorant, but there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in managing a division and managing a community for a division. It sounds just like a DM with a different name.

But, uh, yeah. This.

2. I'm fine with CM being a role that uses their proven superior judgement and maturity in the community when major issues arise, and I'm fine with them doing more. We just need to be more clear about what xG sees the role as.

@Tsuchikure

Look through all my news posts on the home page or general when I talk about something new or changed or even just asking for feedback. The bare minimum CM's can do is comment opinions, read feedback or respond to other's feedback. There is a lot of things for CM's to do, doing nothing is not an excuse as xG has multiple dead servers, teamspeak not being populated as much as it can be, and forums not being lively. Figure out ways to promote activity, show activity yourself OR even just ask other staff or members if they need help with anything.

We will talk with the higher staff and figure out a good way to utilize CM's but right now if they don't do ANYTHING that's not a problem with them not having a clear role, it's more them not taking initiative in the first place. @Rhododendron or Myself don't tell @Lithium or @Bleed what to do for CS:GO, they constantly figure out or listen to other staff/members on ideas or issues that are taking place. I'm not saying all CM's need to know how to program either, @Bello is another example of someone who is extremely active not only on forums but always letting me know if any issues or ideas that tf2 has, just to hear my opinion or see if I can get him help if there's something he can't solve. Just showing initiative goes a LONG way in a community that is full of people who are willing to help improve xG and this is truly the bare minimum a CM should be doing until we get their rank proper responsibilities.

@Tsuchikure@Rhododendron or Myself don't tell @Lithium or @Bleed what to do for CS:GO, they constantly figure out or listen to other staff/members on ideas or issues that are taking place. I'm not saying all CM's need to know how to program either, @Bello is another example of someone who is extremely active not only on forums but always letting me know if any issues or ideas that tf2 has, just to hear my opinion or see if I can get him help if there's something he can't solve. Just showing initiative goes a LONG way in a community that is full of people who are willing to help improve xG and this is truly the bare minimum a CM should be doing until we get their rank proper responsibilities.

Exactly. It sounds almost identical to what a DM/DL does, or should do. I guess I should have also added the "minus programming" part, though.

I'm not exactly trying to prove any point or start any discussions. DEFINITELY not heated ones. But rather pointing out that the role at this time is extremely vague other than "do things with the community that isn't what a DM is/should be doing" in my eyes. However, it might be better for me to find a reminder as to what DMs actually do.

@Tsuchikure

Look through all my news posts on the home page or general when I talk about something new or changed or even just asking for feedback. The bare minimum CM's can do is comment opinions, read feedback or respond to other's feedback. There is a lot of things for CM's to do, doing nothing is not an excuse as xG has multiple dead servers, teamspeak not being populated as much as it can be, and forums not being lively. Figure out ways to promote activity, show activity yourself OR even just ask other staff or members if they need help with anything.

Of course. I fully agree that they can and should be doing such things. It just sounds like it's supposed to be different to a specific untold rank that i may or may not have mentioned before(:^)), and is rather confusing. Again, I will get a reminder as to what the divison ranks are tasked with after this.

some thoughts, as a long lasting veretran shitposter in xG:

we have too many higher ups. in the old days, it was simply a couple CLs (im recalling the most from the silence, serbian, aegean days so thats what im mostly speaking of here) then the div staff. if theres too many higher ups that have responsibilities that stretch across ALL of xG, its very easy to do nothing because theres always someone else to do it, whereas the divisional staff have much more specific jobs to do. right now Aegean is contributing almost everything community side (events, giveaways, etc.) which every cl/cm is able to do.

the real "community" higher ups (everyone but bleed and nomulous, as bleed does developer stuff for both divisions and thats what nomulous used to do, idk what he does now honestly) should be active on servers, shoutbox, teamspeak, admin forums, etc. trying to initiate discussion, possibilities of improvement, fun events, and just keeping the community engaged. obviously they should be there for big decisions, e.g. member protests, but just day to day things that take minimal effort would go a long way towards bettering xG

some thoughts, as a long lasting veretran fudgeposter in xG:

we have too many higher ups.

I actually agree with this post. I really do.

Before anyone gets up in arms about my stance on it, I honestly feel like this is a responsibility that definitely doesn't need to be stretched across more than 3 or 4 people at max. And I think that it's part of the reason I don't see much motivation in myself to actually get out and do more than I already do. And @DrPepperPhreak raised a good point about my activity and how I am not very active on the forums. I won't lie, I haven't been. I haven't been active in a LOT of the different roles around xG, because I feel satisfied in where we have come to. I feel like I have done quite a lot of work and have put xG in a place where they no longer need me.

I don't want it to sound patronizing or sound like I'm claiming sole credit for our clan or anything like that, but I have weathered quite a few storms since I became staff here in xG. Through tough times and happier times, I've made a lot of memories here. But that being said, I simply don't have the drive to keep it going. As I said in my last lengthy post, I don't want it to sound like I'm making excuses either. I'm just going to face facts: I find the desire to even play TF2 anymore dwindling more and more each and every day.

The more I analyze it and the more I dissect the issue at hand, I keep ending on the same point: Perhaps it is time for me to hang up my coat and retire from my position. Not because I disagree with how anything is being managed, not because I dislike anyone or have any ill feelings, but more because I feel that all of the things I wanted to accomplish for this clan have been accomplished. When @Aegean came back, I knew things would be in excellent hands, so I have no remorse for leaving. We're honestly overcrowded in the higher ups, and I know deep down I don't do much anymore. I won't kid myself and be blunt. So maybe it is for the best if I called it a night.

I love this clan and I love its members. That's mostly what is driving me to this conclusion. It isn't fair of me to hold this position if I am not going to be as active as I used to be, and between two kids, a steady career, and all of the other interests I have going on in my life, there simply just isn't much time for the clan. It isn't anything personal, it's just the truth.

I actually agree with this post. I really do.

Before anyone gets up in arms about my stance on it, I honestly feel like this is a responsibility that definitely doesn't need to be stretched across more than 3 or 4 people at max. And I think that it's part of the reason I don't see much motivation in myself to actually get out and do more than I already do. And @DrPepperPhreak raised a good point about my activity and how I am not very active on the forums. I won't lie, I haven't been. I haven't been active in a LOT of the different roles around xG, because I feel satisfied in where we have come to. I feel like I have done quite a lot of work and have put xG in a place where they no longer need me.

I don't want it to sound patronizing or sound like I'm claiming sole credit for our clan or anything like that, but I have weathered quite a few storms since I became staff here in xG. Through tough times and happier times, I've made a lot of memories here. But that being said, I simply don't have the drive to keep it going. As I said in my last lengthy post, I don't want it to sound like I'm making excuses either. I'm just going to face facts: I find the desire to even play TF2 anymore dwindling more and more each and every day.

The more I analyze it and the more I dissect the issue at hand, I keep ending on the same point: Perhaps it is time for me to hang up my coat and retire from my position. Not because I disagree with how anything is being managed, not because I dislike anyone or have any ill feelings, but more because I feel that all of the things I wanted to accomplish for this clan have been accomplished. When @Aegean came back, I knew things would be in excellent hands, so I have no remorse for leaving. We're honestly overcrowded in the higher ups, and I know deep down I don't do much anymore. I won't kid myself and be blunt. So maybe it is for the best if I called it a night.

I love this clan and I love its members. That's mostly what is driving me to this conclusion. It isn't fair of me to hold this position if I am not going to be as active as I used to be, and between two kids, a steady career, and all of the other interests I have going on in my life, there simply just isn't much time for the clan. It isn't anything personal, it's just the truth.

Your choice and I respect it bby.

But it does lead us to another issue, and I ran into it to. Once you get a steady job going and in some cases college too people tend to get less time to game. CM's need to be the more mature members, but most members that are IRL adults have trouble finding the time. We need a balance unless we want xG staff to be a revolving door of high schoolers.

I've made the decision, and I hope everyone respects it. I thank you all for the opportunity you have given me to lead this clan, but for the time being, I feel it's best if I call it quits.

I won't be gone. I'll still be around. Perhaps one day I may return, if and when xG needs it. <3

The Hardest Goodbye