Vaporeon

Vaporeon - Team Fortress 2

I don't think I'd change my vouch though with that still in mind, what vector said about questionable abuse is kind of worrying but I don't know, I think I can barely remember playing on the servers when they were still a mod/admin/whatever and I never had any real issues. The issue vector brought up about sprays is also pretty much a non-issue for me. I see weird fucking fetishes on both trade servers by the daily and the world doesn't burn down. People just need to grow thicker skin. Obviously if something is nsfw we can't allow it but we aren't kicking bow-wow because sweaty foot stomping fetish is ultra-gross despite being sfw, so I think personally we should either redefine the rules if fetish material is an issue or suck it up.

To be perfectly blunt, seems pretty chill. Vore memes aside, I'd trust this user to actually listen to constructive feedback on their moderating. There are a lot of regulars on TGH that i'd consider too hostile to be considered for this position. I don't think Vaporeon is one of them.

+1. I think they'd do pretty alright.

Going to point out that saying "he uses vore" is at least a semi-valid reason to -1 someone. I believe staff should have a decent grasp on the rules themselves, otherwise there should be no reason they should have staff. Something about the idea of having a staff member breaking rules seems out of place to me, I see there has been some warnings given out over this exact subject but I felt the need to elaborate further.

Vaporeon should read up on the rules of the servers and make sure he is not violating any of them before applying. Him having to be warned for inappropriate sprays/profile pictures makes me question the idea of giving him staff. It makes me think that he may be a bit too lenient with other players on rule-breaking (but sprays/avatars is the main one). He has said something in the post above about him having trouble controlling his anger towards other players which also gets me a bit nervous about the idea of giving him staff.

I will remain neutral only for the reason that I do not believe I have encountered him enough to get an idea of what he is like on the servers.

Him getting a bit antsy was about 2 years ago and even then I hardly ever even saw it myself despite being on TGH everyday.

Also, reference to this: PSA: New rule regarding sprays, avatars and customizable items | Xeno Gamers

Vore being on the server does not break the spray guideline, and on the forums @Vaporeon had this profile picture for years without any issue whatsoever. I still think it's entirely irrelevant for his kinks to be related to this thread whatsoever, but what Vector said is valid.

Well, this application has been "Pending..." for awhile, so...

Personally, I don't know Vaporeon well at all. I've seen him online the servers a ton, and there's never been any issues I noticed even when he was mod. Obviously, I'm going to be neutral in this.

However, I just wanted to point out, after reading the comments regarding his alleged past staff-abuse, ya'll shouldn't let that make you drop a +1 for him and/or -1 him instead. Five years is a long time to be active in xG and a long time to gain experiences in what's appropriate here and what's not appropriate here, and as a server mod none the less. The point I'm trying to make here is that I trust that he's matured since the alleged staff-abuse described and would be more than willing to trust him with a second chance, if I knew him :P

(sorry @Vaporeon let's be friends one day, okay? :))

Take what I say with a grain of salt, since I only rejoined TF2 in early- to mid-December and my recent experience with Vaporeon is limited. However, from past experience with Vaporeon as a mod and an admin, I have to agree with Vector's earlier response. Vaporeon certainly has been around for a long time, knows the rules, and puts a lot of time into playing on our servers. However, that experience or longevity does not directly correlate with maturity or good judgment. To my recollection, during his time as a staff member, Vaporeon was consistently adamant about enforcing the letter of the law. While moderators (and other staff members) have a responsibility to punish rulebreakers, that is not the end goal. The goal is to ensure that the other players' experience is not negatively impacted by some asshole who is seeking to cause trouble. To put it simply, moderators should conduct themselves as both law enforcement and community representatives. When one aspect is neglected, it impacts the decision-making capability of the staff member in question. Conversely, I recall some moderators who were too lenient in administering punishments -- neglecting the law enforcement aspect -- which resulted in favoritism and failure to recognize and stop obvious rulebreaking.

Also, a staff member needs to recognize that they are not above reproach. If they delivered a punishment that did not fit the violation, they need to recognize that and adjust the punishment accordingly. Staff should be accountable to the players they serve. If a player criticizes their behavior, that is not "staff disrespect" by default. (I make it a point not to use that term because it's usually an unfair characterization and just makes you look like an asshole.) With regard to his spray, I honestly don't think it is appropriate or befitting of a staff member. Irrespective of his sexual preferences, If we hold "regular" players accountable for fetish sprays and punish them accordingly, then we should hold staff members to the same standard. In my experience, Vaporeon was very defensive about his spray and his decisions as a staff member and often reacted to immediate criticism with swift punishment, which in turn resulted in some harsh criticisms of his general behavior (some of them unfair, but others certainly justified).

Bottom line, if you feel that Vaporeon's behavior has improved in the past year and that the above points are now inapplicable, I have no problem giving him a +1. Until then, it's a -1 from me.

With regard to his spray, I honestly don't think it is appropriate or befitting of a staff member. Irrespective of his sexual preferences, If we hold "regular" players accountable for fetish sprays and punish them accordingly, then we should hold staff members to the same standard. In my experience, Vaporeon was very defensive about his spray and his decisions as a staff member and often reacted to immediate criticism with swift punishment, which in turn resulted in some harsh criticisms of his general behavior (some of them unfair, but others certainly justified).

We don't hold regular players accountable for sprays that don't go against this: xG-News - A New Year! January Update | Xeno Gamers and Vaporeon's spray does not go against these guidelines, it is allowed and his sprays should not distinguish whether he gets staff or not. Otherwise I don't have anything to say against your opinion

We don't hold regular players accountable for sprays that don't go against this: xG-News - A New Year! January Update | Xeno Gamers and Vaporeon's spray does not go against these guidelines, it is allowed and his sprays should not distinguish whether he gets staff or not. Otherwise I don't have anything to say against your opinion

Fair enough, I rescind that part. Thanks for linking the PSA, I must have missed that one.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, since I only rejoined TF2 in early- to mid-December and my recent experience with Vaporeon is limited...

Thank you for your feedback; I'd much rather have a well-explained and backed-up -1 than a brief and unjustified +1. I agree with you that I was far too focused on the aspect of punishing rule-breakers in my time as mod, and my strictness led to alienation and frustration for many people, like Vector. At the time, I was frustrated with the large amount of staff that neglected their duty and viewed it as my responsibility to crack down on anyone and everyone. I realize now that that wasn't the correct course of action, and that there are other responsibilities as a mod, such as maintaining a positive atmosphere overall. I've been working hard on making myself a more pleasant person to be around.

Thank you for your feedback; I'd much rather have a well-explained and backed-up -1 than a brief and unjustified +1...

And I appreciate a calm, well-reasoned reply. I don't give -1's lightly and when I do, I try to give a clear reason for doing so.

I do empathize with you that there were a lot of "buddy" moderators before, and though I'm not calling anyone out, I'm relieved that they have improved their behavior, resigned, or been removed. From my limited observations, you seem much more patient, friendly, and mature in your recent conduct on TGH and Poketrade than previously noted. Good luck on your application. :)

And I appreciate a calm, well-reasoned reply. I don't give -1's lightly and when I do, I try to give a clear reason for doing so.

I do empathize with you that there were a lot of "buddy" moderators before, and though I'm not calling anyone out, I'm relieved that they have improved their behavior, resigned, or been removed. From my limited observations, you seem much more patient, friendly, and mature in your recent conduct on TGH and Poketrade than previously noted. Good luck on your application. :)

Thanks!

logo_banner.png

CONGRATULATIONS!

Your staff application has been accepted! In order to get acquainted with being staff, please read the staff manual below for your appropriate division. Don't be afraid to ask others for help!

Note: n/a

[CS:GO] [TF2] [GMOD]

A good staff member is always...

-A positive role model to the other players in our servers

-Taking initiative and making sure our servers are #1