AegeanOld

Why xg is not the same as it was, and ways to bring back oldxg. (serious)

Also, in all fairness, I did extend my interest in being a Mod to Vector when he asked if it would be something I'd consider doing. I explained that by being promoted, I could actively work towards improving the quality of things, so sometimes we DO have to communicate our interest in promotions.

I just dislike the notion of some random user asking 50+ times for a promotion. That's what annoys me, I guess. It's not just the communication, but it's the effort alongside it.

This clan started as a project for Silence, and Trollface #operationpaperclip, Correct me if i'm wrong but"xG" started as a slide race server, a baby for silence that he loved to play and work on, And evolved into Jailbreak, Jailbreak was the core of this community in CS:S, And as a community we could probably expand that into CS:GO, Bringing Minigames and Jailbreak(already have a server) Into the modern CS.

Yes i agree that tf2 is the most populated division, But that's not what xG was made around, We're a multi gaming clan, And focusing all of our resources into 1 game, Is just going to make it bland and not appeal to as many players as it could.

@Bleed is probably one of the best examples I can think of trying to improve xG with all the work he puts into bettering our servers (even if he won't tell me what exactly it is). I do want to say that I do want to go through all these old rules and stickied threads and update them (refer to my post on rabid's thread about hiding).

I agree the idea that the members need to be involved. He'll even the staff need involved. You look at the revive css thread and you can say it's great some people still want Css around, but then complain about the cynical me saying it won't work. But go back nobody who posted in there has tried to start populating they only join after it is populated and are typically the first out or afk the whole time. Sorry if doesn't make sense. Hard to post on phone will write big and more detailed response when home as well as some of the work for bleeds super secret project.

So just a quick introduction. I joined the xG community december 2010/jan 2011, was co-leader for about 2-3 years and then left due to disagreements towards my fellow higherups. You might know me by Link if not by Aegean. I had a very good history with this clan with exception to duplolas having powers, and then darkwolf having powers, cuz they were retards. Anyways.

Why is xG not the same as it once was? It's easy to blame rhododendron/silence for alot of it, but that's not it. He might have caused some steaming pantload, but it's not him that's preventing xG to get back to its former glory.

1. It's the staff themselves. If you go back to 2011-2013, it wasn't silence alone that was keeping the servers populated and fun, it was the members. The biggest thing was the members who were keen on being staff, and once being promoted, having a positive influence. I remember when jailbreak and other servers had 5-6 + staff on all the time (except for the late night, where myself, cristo and other night owls would populate and play if we were bored) The biggest thing is the staff don't care anymore about bettering the server. You know what I don't see? Mods and Admins constantly asking higher up what they have to do to be promoted. It's true I'm not staff anymore so it might be behind the scenes now, but I remember how active staff were on forums, always asking members what they want from the server, and even people pming me and other higherups for an "operation populate (deathrun)" or w.e . The biggest thing is from talking to many members, and even staff themselves, promotions are much more skewed then they used to be. It's not so much how active you are or how good you are in server, it's more who your friends with, and who you talk to in teamspeak.

2. People don't care. Look at the forums. There are so many posts that are stickied but not updated, or stickied that should be removed. I made a post about what the different levels of staff do for this community, and what you can ask them for help with. As higherups, you need to be constantly looking to see what you can do to make this community better. If this isn't your goal while being a higher up, then you should step down or re-evaluate your position. You aren't higher-ups so you can abuse on TS or forums, and just be the shield for your friends when something gets called out against them. You are there to set an example, and make sure EVERYONE (this is key) has a great experience in the servers and community, and that they would want to join and even invite their friends into the clan. This also means that you can't bend rules to appeal to one group of people (example the furries or bronies who don't like being insulted) but then allow NSFW avatars that are actually against the rules because (that's just my opinion). You guys need to understand that you represent the community, as soon as people go "ouu i'm gonna go check out another community" you fudgeed up possibly many new recruits, ad sense, and donation money.

3. Everyone is segregated. Look at teamspeak and look at the ridiculous amount of black lists and passwords in the channels. A select few staff almost never go into a public channel, and that is also very upsetting to newer members who want to meet staff and others and want to play other games with other fellow clan members. I mentioned this a few times, but this is a ridiculous thing that I should be bringing up time and time again. Staff need to acknowledge the newer members, and play games with them or even create events. Before the Cozy boys (Billy, Trif, Rpgs, etc) and I quit, Rpgs had the idea of making a community night. Once a week, we choose a few servers, set up an event to all of xG (through the forums and steam group) and just spend a few hours with the community. Anyone is welcome to join, and just play some games that aren't populated as much. (xG Minigames for example)

What does this do?

1. You introduce members to a new game mode that they potentially might like and come back often too, and

2. The members get to meet others (staff, members or just randoms) and get to have fun and feel like they really are in a community.

You have nothing to lose from this, you lose 0 resources and you get the community involved; something this community hasn't really done in a long time. You can provide incentives to coming if you can, if not just have fun and play games. This can also prove valuable to members and staff who are looking to be promoted but are often unseen to the people that they need to be seen by.

This will not return xG to it's former glory, but it's a start. Once the staff start acting like staff, and stop being spoiled brats who are power-happy at any slight discomfort, this community can lead to the right path back to competing to be one of the top gaming communities on steam. If you disagree or would like to add any points, please I urge you to start a conversation. This is how change starts, from people talking. Thanks for the long read, there is no tl;dr because if you don't wanna read it, you don't care.

-Aegean

Aegean for co-leader +1

But seriously i stalk the forums for a good laugh, cause of how bad its gotten. Like Aegean said, its up to members/mods/admins to populate the servers, you want people to join and donate, gotta give people a reason to be on your servers, Either it be good people/plugins you have to have population for it to matter.even at night on the css jb server pop was still decent till like 4am. Most of the mods for css now probly shouldn't have it, i got mod with an app that went over well and would have gotten admin i think a month later if i wasnt a cunt to Aegean, i EARNED my way and showed i could be trusted and did work to better the gameplay of the members and randoms alike.

Simply gonna comment here, but as for the CSS div there are some that do populate. I for one, have populated it a couple times, I can't always because of school but when I have free time I get on and dick around. I know Phoenix does, I know Potato Girl does, I know Slink does once in a blue moon. And @Bonk too apparently. I'd like to reiterate that we are TRYING. It's very difficult, we all have lives else where and just sitting on an empty server hoping someone joins is boring. I have seen a lot of the people commenting about population only join after it's full, which to me is a tad hypocritical.

I'm going to be redoing JB rules as an experiment once my motivation bounces back and we'll see how the new rules go over but it takes time, like I said. Be patient and/or help.

So just a quick introduction. I joined the xG community december 2010/jan 2011, was co-leader for about 2-3 years and then left due to disagreements towards my fellow higherups. You might know me by Link if not by Aegean. I had a very good history with this clan with exception to duplolas having powers, and then darkwolf having powers, cuz they were retards. Anyways.

Why is xG not the same as it once was? It's easy to blame rhododendron/silence for alot of it, but that's not it. He might have caused some steaming pantload, but it's not him that's preventing xG to get back to its former glory.

1. It's the staff themselves. If you go back to 2011-2013, it wasn't silence alone that was keeping the servers populated and fun, it was the members. The biggest thing was the members who were keen on being staff, and once being promoted, having a positive influence. I remember when jailbreak and other servers had 5-6 + staff on all the time (except for the late night, where myself, cristo and other night owls would populate and play if we were bored) The biggest thing is the staff don't care anymore about bettering the server. You know what I don't see? Mods and Admins constantly asking higher up what they have to do to be promoted. It's true I'm not staff anymore so it might be behind the scenes now, but I remember how active staff were on forums, always asking members what they want from the server, and even people pming me and other higherups for an "operation populate (deathrun)" or w.e . The biggest thing is from talking to many members, and even staff themselves, promotions are much more skewed then they used to be. It's not so much how active you are or how good you are in server, it's more who your friends with, and who you talk to in teamspeak.

2. People don't care. Look at the forums. There are so many posts that are stickied but not updated, or stickied that should be removed. I made a post about what the different levels of staff do for this community, and what you can ask them for help with. As higherups, you need to be constantly looking to see what you can do to make this community better. If this isn't your goal while being a higher up, then you should step down or re-evaluate your position. You aren't higher-ups so you can abuse on TS or forums, and just be the shield for your friends when something gets called out against them. You are there to set an example, and make sure EVERYONE (this is key) has a great experience in the servers and community, and that they would want to join and even invite their friends into the clan. This also means that you can't bend rules to appeal to one group of people (example the furries or bronies who don't like being insulted) but then allow NSFW avatars that are actually against the rules because (that's just my opinion). You guys need to understand that you represent the community, as soon as people go "ouu i'm gonna go check out another community" you fudgeed up possibly many new recruits, ad sense, and donation money.

3. Everyone is segregated. Look at teamspeak and look at the ridiculous amount of black lists and passwords in the channels. A select few staff almost never go into a public channel, and that is also very upsetting to newer members who want to meet staff and others and want to play other games with other fellow clan members. I mentioned this a few times, but this is a ridiculous thing that I should be bringing up time and time again. Staff need to acknowledge the newer members, and play games with them or even create events. Before the Cozy boys (Billy, Trif, Rpgs, etc) and I quit, Rpgs had the idea of making a community night. Once a week, we choose a few servers, set up an event to all of xG (through the forums and steam group) and just spend a few hours with the community. Anyone is welcome to join, and just play some games that aren't populated as much. (xG Minigames for example)

What does this do?

1. You introduce members to a new game mode that they potentially might like and come back often too, and

2. The members get to meet others (staff, members or just randoms) and get to have fun and feel like they really are in a community.

You have nothing to lose from this, you lose 0 resources and you get the community involved; something this community hasn't really done in a long time. You can provide incentives to coming if you can, if not just have fun and play games. This can also prove valuable to members and staff who are looking to be promoted but are often unseen to the people that they need to be seen by.

This will not return xG to it's former glory, but it's a start. Once the staff start acting like staff, and stop being spoiled brats who are power-happy at any slight discomfort, this community can lead to the right path back to competing to be one of the top gaming communities on steam. If you disagree or would like to add any points, please I urge you to start a conversation. This is how change starts, from people talking. Thanks for the long read, there is no tl;dr because if you don't wanna read it, you don't care.

-Aegean

sup aegean, dead fuck

I agree with pretty much all of this (mostly because i skimmed through it and didn't read all of it but got most of it) but one of the big reasons we don't have population is staff and members are lazy when it comes to populating. There are people who do try their hardest to get population and usually it does work (Phoenix, Haxx, myself, Saturday, DeathGod, Cookie, occasionally Tav, etc.) but there are people who don't seem to have the patience or dedication to keep the servers populated. Although I can't speak for the ever-growing TF2 div they seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping it populated most of the time of the day. If, like Forest said we start getting on every night knowing that there will be at least some population it would start to bring in regulars that eventually turn into members and even staff. Also, as has been said before, staff members need to get along with each other. That's why @Legend stepped down, he hated some of the mods (mostly me, for god knows why). I know Papercreeper, for example, hates my guts. I have no idea why he does, but he needs to get over the fact that I'm probably not going away any time soon. May or may not edit to add more things as I think about them

Simply gonna comment here, but as for the CSS div there are some that do populate. I for one, have populated it a couple times, I can't always because of school but when I have free time I get on and beef n' fixin around. I know Phoenix does, I know Potato Girl does, I know Slink does once in a blue moon. And @Bonk too apparently. I'd like to reiterate that we are TRYING. It's very difficult, we all have lives else where and just sitting on an empty server hoping someone joins is boring. I have seen a lot of the people commenting about population only join after it's full, which to me is a tad hypocritical.

I'm going to be redoing JB rules as an experiment once my motivation bounces back and we'll see how the new rules go over but it takes time, like I said. Be patient and/or help.

Once in a blue moon! Yes! Can't forget there are such thing as, say it with me @Everyone OTHER Divs. Such as L4D2 which is about to die, 1 server and 0 people. GMOD can be populated just doesn't want to, and I think CSGO is pretty abandoned, also not to add MC is abandoned a bit of the time when there isn't a Community Night, I mean if you think about it CSS is the 3rd most populated div (Under TF2 and ND which ND is somehow populated but by Non - xGs)