Matsi

Xg - Active Management And Dead Divs

I've always said that community leaders are a pointless position. They were used to make xG seem more democratic(At least that's what it seemed like when it was started). The jobs CLs have now are the same as Co Leaders now that the leader rank is gone, except now they handle some of the old DL stuff too. CLs were supposed to allow there to be an opinion coming from every division. Right now THREE are from a dead division(CS:S), one from csgo, and then Nom and Silence. TF2 is the most popular division we have, so why do they basically have 1(2 including silence if he's still active with it) CL(s) to begin with? If the other CLs don't want to be active on TF2, make an active tf2 member a CL. That's the option that makes the most sense.

They did but he left, they should make kbrazz a cl. and relook at the dls/dm's of tf2 and see how active they are since they make the choices of whos promed and such. Or make me a cl and let me show em how its done ;D

I've had about 100 hours or so in our TF2 Servers over the course of a year or so. I wouldn't call myself active in that division, but it is a decent amount time spent in it for a game I do (generally) dislike. I spend my fair amount of time in our scrim servers (Csgo) and our overall teamspeak.

What makes you say this? Co-leader may have held such a power, but community leaders do not. Community leaders are supposed to moderate the forums, handle certain situations such as abuse/higher up problems, and teamspeak issues. CL's have their bounds as do DL's, DM's, ect. Or this :(

I took it that community leaders were like the highest thing. They look at some ban requests/protests and see if it was overdone or under done. They are an appeals court somewhat. They look at rules for other servers and see if they are fair or in the best interest (example the death threat rule) They make sure everything is done right on forums. They go onto all of the servers or at least the active ones and hangout, see the community they lead and based on that can make better rulings on stuff that impacts everyone or impacts certain divisions. Talk to people on servers and maybe observe how members act so they can come to a better conclusion on member protests or abuse reports. You know, be actual leaders and not just a forum admin.

That is what I thoughts CLs were supposed to do.

Alright let me give an opinion from my perspective. I'll preface it by saying that 1) This is a 100% honest opinion, thus I'm not holding anything back and not sugar coating the issue. 2)I don't know what I'll be writing, but if I target someone specifically, its not because I dislike you, but an issue I think needs addressing.

TL;DR: The organization of staff is messed up, doesn't work, and needs to change.

Back when Community Leaders was first implemented there were a lot of assumptions that were made. The first of which is that the CL's would essentially have a final say in most matter, except those that Silence would become involved in. This would be done by a 3/5ths vote, where at least 3 "Yes" votes would need to be obtained before any action taken. This worked well, and CL's had good communication.

Obviously as of recent, actually the last... year, the communication has dropped completely. The CL's are supposed to ALL SEE the promo demo list before it is posted. I have no seen one it a long time. Yes, I have asked numerous times why I am no longer included in this list, but have not received one response from the other CL's. Apparently Dr. Lee is the only one that sees it as far as I know.

If there is an issue in the clan guess who should deal with it - All the CL's. Guess who does deal with it - one or two CLs without any attempt to contact the other ones. Hmm doesn't sound like a very good group anymore huh?

Also, I've sure many people have noticed only a few CLs actually put opinions on important issues on the forums (Diabeetus and I). Yes, Dr. Lee does chime in, but it seems that it can take forever to get responses from the rest of the CLs. I'm not saying im perfect on replying, but I do make an effort to respond in a timely fashion and think I do this for the most part.

Not sure about the other CLs, but I highly doubt they take the effort to follow up on issues. Example: On Jul 17th Diabeetus posted a thread in admin discussion to follow up on Vector's change in ban. I responded same day, saying that there was a problem with the chain of command and I wasn't going to post my opinion until we figured out who is allowed to change bans, who is in charge, etc. Silence responded, and that was it until i followed up on the 23rd to see what was going to happen regarding the ban. Asked TF2 why they permed him. diabeetus responded, saying he was waiting for the other CLs opinions (fine with me). Dr. Lee finally responds on the 23rd. That was the extend of the thread. Nobody solved anything. I eventually talked a little more to vector to figure out more, and we wrapped up his side of the issue. Do the other CLs personally message people to solve issues? I highly doubt it. I rarely see anyone other than me or diabeetus actually do any work related to the CL position.

Next issue.... what the hell was the reasoning behind removing leadership roles? Silence should be leader, nom developer (although what power you should have is a topic of debate, nothing against you hun just clarification needed), and MAYBE a CL position with people that have time to dedicate to the clan (Or 2 co leaders imo).

Issue #72. COMMUNITY LEADERS NEED POWER FFS. Powers I don't have that make it hard to do a proper job:

1) Teamspeak powers. I got locked out of my channel and couldn't do jack about it, what kind of sense does this make for a COMMUNITY LEADER not to have power in TS and solve issues immediately for people?

2) The ability to use our forum powers and the ability to use our ball of mush inside our head to settle issues? It complete bs that we need to get the approval of john, bob, smitty, bojangles, tim, maryann and martha, my mom, his dad, and Obama's permission to do anything. DO YOU KNOW HOW EASY MY JOB WOULD BE IF PEOPLE WOULD TRUST ME TO MAKE A DECISION ON MY OWN.

Issue #91. Activity in games from CL.

I know we don't have the best activity in our active divisions. I mean division, TF2. But I would like to say at least i've made attempts to join and mingle. When dodgeball first opened i was on for a few times at least, and recently I popped on JB several times. I know it aint steller, but at least know im trying.

Issue#92. Bias.

There is so much Biasness in the leadership right now it isn't even funny. Whether or not people think I am I don't care, but just know that I dont give a fudge if your a friend of mine or not. I try my best to judge everyone with the same baseline.

Anyway, rant over. Feel free to ask me questions, comment, hate on me, whatever.

@Hidingmaster I Agree but you guys need to step up ur shit and make sure xG has a chance to grow, also Silence you are leader, your word is final. Nom is a coder and maybe could be a CL if he actually does help them, But at the end of the day you guys have the power to make xG great and most of you do nothing with it. You guys are the one making the choice of who is and isnt DL/DM ITS ON YOU to make sure they arnt bias like ohstopyou is against vector. Silence should reconsider who the other CL's are and appoint those who are willing and wanting to help the community grow and make sure it has the best chance to be non bias as fuck.

@Hidingmaster I Agree but you guys need to step up ur fudge and make sure xG has a chance to grow, also Silence you are leader, your word is final. Nom is a coder and maybe could be a CL if he actually does help them, But at the end of the day you guys have the power to make xG great and most of you do nothing with it. You guys are the one making the choice of who is and isnt DL/DM ITS ON YOU to make sure they arnt bias like ohstopyou is against vector. Silence should reconsider who the other CL's are and appoint those who are willing and wanting to help the community grow and make sure it has the best chance to be non bias as frick.

I see where you're coming from, but remember I haven't been part of any promo discussion in months. I asked for it time and again. Right now I have now power, and tbh I see nobody giving a fudge about what I posted meaning nothing will change. The only way we remove bias is leave the decisions to one or two people. IMO there needs to be a change in leadership woth ALL decisions of importance going through one or two people that have shown they can make honest decisions, not a variety of people who can't make a proper decision... But I do understand the issues your arise, but until changes happen at the top nothing can change below.

Didn't read most of this thread, on account of it being late at night. May or may not check it out later, but I did want to give my input in a short manner (who am I kidding, that's a flat out lie). Just to be clear, if I'm making points that have already been made, I apologize in advance. I also apologize if what I say either doesn't make sense, or is going in a complete cycle as it is 12 AM while I am writing this. As always, don't expect a reply or anything should you choose to poke at anything mentioned below as I do have things going on (plus I'm just a Member so this is all merely opinion. Sort of). For reference, I'll write this out in the form of three paragraphs;

- A brief description of Community Leaders,

- What they do and do not influence/their stance in XenoGamers

- The actual topic at hand which seems to have nearly lost its way.

So, without further ado ...

- - -

It is not the duty of the Community Leader(s) to monitor Servers or to monitor Members/Players within those Servers. The concept of Community Leader is just that; a Leader for the Community, which does happen to revolve around a lot of forum activity. Serb and I had in mind a rank whose concerns would revolve around clan relations or other large discussions that influenced XenoGamers as a whole. That is the sole reason they do not have any sort of crazy permissions (IE. ban/slay/slap/etc) within any Server; however, they do still have the final say in most cases.

This group will not have special powers ingame. Yes, that means they will not have all of the god-like powers that the previous Co-Leaders were blessed with. Reason being, this group is to reflect the community, and as such, they do not require powers on our Servers as it will not reflect the title appropriately.

Cont'd

This was to ensure that there is some sort of structure that can over-rule certain implementations or otherwise wrongful additions. It's difficult to describe, but the CLs both have power, and do not have power.

- - -

There are certain limitations in what they influence, and Promotions/Demotions aren't one of them for the sole reason that they are not required to be active on a particular Division to make any sort of call whether someone should or shouldn't be promoted/demoted. To recap, the responsibility of a Division Manager is to, well, manage the Division. This includes managing a Division's Staff, Member Applications, etc. The responsibility of the Division Leader is to maintain the Server(s) that pertain to that Division while also ensuring that the Division Manager(s) aren't simply promoting/demoting people out of favoritism. While the job of the newly enacted Community Leaders was vague, they were never meant to be in charge of these tasks. The Division Leader(s) and Manager(s) are tasked with keeping their own Division neat and tidy and if there is anyone that is to blame (provided it involves specifics mentioned above. Sorry guys) it's them.

Any other responsibilities of the previous Co-Leader will now be dealt with by the Community Leaders (this includes making decisions based on the best interests of xG, working on Promo/Demos, as well as other duties).

Cont'd

Those of you who are blaming the Community Leaders for any sort of promotions or demotions need to be aware that they do not make the decision of who should/shouldn't be promoted/demoted (in a manner of speaking). They simply compile a list that is given to them from Division Leaders, and relay it through our bi-weekly Promo/Demo. Their title entails them to make sure the community (as a whole) stays afloat, (which in itself is a daunting task. Trust me, I know). Now, the only real problem here is when our beloved Community Leaders promote someone to a Division Leader/Manager position and it turns out that person is lacking in proper.. Qualifications. At this point it becomes a problem for everyone, but this is why we (Serb and I) promoted a group of five into a position of power; so that they may discuss amongst themselves whether someone fits the description. Unfortunately, there is something that a lot of people seem to forget; people have lives outside of gaming. Hell, if you knew me well, you'd know that I devoted a serious chunk of my time toward Counter-Strike: Source and trying to improve XenoGamers as a whole. I can tell you right now that it isn't a cakewalk to take the helm of a gaming community this large while juggling your personal life. They're bound to make mistakes, and they're bound to make hasty decisions or to cut corners. Do keep in mind that these guys are dedicating a fair amount of their psyche (for free, mind you) to manage things as best they can. It isn't so much the fact that they aren't willing to help XenoGamers grow, it's that doing this sort of thing demands a lot out of someone. It would be best to actively find suitable replacements, but looking for someone to fill these shoes isn't as easy as you think it is.

- - -

From my understanding, the payments for some of these Divisions work as a sort of group; removing Servers doesn't result in a cheaper alternative, it just wastes a good Server that could be utilized (correct me if I'm wrong). With that said, I completely agree that those of you in a position of power for a "dead" Division should be working toward reviving it in some way. If that isn't something you're willing to do, step down and move on, but don't sit there jerking your dick off waiting for someone else to improve the Servers. I get that personal life is a factor here as well, but if that's the case just step down. Seriously, you aren't doing that particular Server any good by not trying to revive it. Obviously this doesn't apply to those of you who literally can't do anything (IE. Servers are down, aren't working at all). If this is the case, go harass the Division Leader of that Division into doing something about it, or post a Member Protest (literally protest about their doing nothing); but at the same time keep in mind that they do have a life outside of XenoGamers and that they are doing this for free.

- Dat guy, Forest

This incredibly lengthy post is brought to you by Forest, rambling and ranting with TL;DR posts since 2012.