Pepper

Status Of Minecraft

: Many of you know as of now the Minecraft server is a steaming pile of shit. I am aware of the many issues and bugs and crashes with the server. If you have made threads about it or have talked to me personally about it don't think that I have just ignored you. When the server launched, there were some road bumps but for the first month or so the server went well. Then school started, the population died, and some other shit happened. Now I have a server on my hands that is nowhere near where is should be or where I want it to be and that is my fault. I don't have the time or the experience to keep the server operational all by myself, but that's not an acceptable reason for the server to be so underpopulated and broken. I will be talking to @Aegean about the future of the server, of my position, and where I think it should go. We have had a conversation before, but we really didn't go anywhere with it. I'm sorry that its gotten this far. I should have tried to fix this a while ago.

It's not entirely your fault so don't feel too bad. There is just a lot that needs to be done and unfortunately you just don't have the skills at the moment. It'd be nice if we could get someone who knew enough about the server side stuff to maintain the server. As for population minecraft is already a slow game when it comes to population anyhow but it's more of how popular servers will keep bringing in new players because they have higher voting ranks. The fact that you're the only staff I've even seen on minecraft for a while doesn't help either. The issues stem from lots of things that aren't in your control to be fair. I am curious on what will happen to the server as well but I can definitely hope for the best ^-^;

so does it mean that the minecraft server would be shut down soon?

As of right now no its still up and running (relatively) but there will be discussions on what direction we want to take it. Super has been super mad busy lately. So we will talk with him when he is able too. He knows a lot more than me about minecraft.

if the current staff are having trouble with finding the time to maintain the server, it would probably be wise to appoint new staff to help out.

wyverness has had experience as staff on a minecraft server and so have I several years ago when an old friend owned a server and had me adding and configuring plugins server side.

The main population of the Minecraft server atm is primarily myself, vector, wyverness, bonfire, kypari and a few others and we have been playing regularly and we all agree new staff are needed to keep the server in an acceptable condition for ourselves and newcomers.

if the current staff are having trouble with finding the time to maintain the server, it would probably be wise to appoint new staff to help out.

wyverness has had experience as staff on a minecraft server and so have I several years ago when an old friend owned a server and had me adding and configuring plugins server side.

The main population of the Minecraft server atm is primarily myself, vector, wyverness, bonfire, kypari and a few others and we have been playing regularly and we all agree new staff are needed to keep the server in an acceptable condition for ourselves and newcomers.

If you were interested in taking a staff position on the MC servers, don't hesitate to make an application. I'm sure that you guys could help the server in whatever ways moderators can on the server.

Super has been super mad

nice pun

Also, I don’t think that it’s been talked about enough “advertised amongst the other divisions” for people to check it out.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Honestly, having someone who knows how to add/remove plugins and "maintain" the server has not worked in the past on any attempt. Not just MC but CS, GMOD, TF2 as well. With CS GMOD and TF2 you can get away with it a lot longer because most of the work for servers comes down to a few major plugins that are highly maintained by an active modding base. But for MC there is so much to do since it may as well be open source, where modding is encouraged by the developers, and customization is the selling point of the game. You need someone who not only can drag and drop plugins and configure the setups, but someone who can actually create and actually customize.

Regular staff are one thing (me being an inactive MC staff member [and an inactive staff in general, holla at csgo]) that honestly are not necessary right now, in such a small community of players that go on it, there are no major issues that would arise unless suddenly one of you becomes a black sheep to the others. The problem that lies in MC and our servers is that we have never really had someone for any division really that has been dedicated to developing them on the basis that silence does (except for you @doublebuttass bb), and he just doesn't really have time for it anymore. (nomulous was super dedicated to developing TF2 but only lasted as long as my interest in a hot new game lasts before I go back to the usuals, or stop playing games entirely for a while.)

If anyone wants to work on the Minecraft server, or thinks they can help out in the back end, send me a message via conversation on the forums, or messaging me on steam.

I know a decent amount of minecraft related stuff such as plugin configs, checking logs for errors, etc etc. I'm not like an expert or anything. It's not hard for me to understand because I know how to program in java and such, but it's mainly server side stuff I don't understand as much as I didn't do well with my net++ courses in college lol. The main reason I'm timid to apply for minecraft staff because I don't want to shove myself into the minecraft division just because I'm on a lot. Likewise I'm already staff on tf2 and I don't want time to interfere as when I'm usually on my computer none of the staff are on(most of the time.) Essentially what we do need is someone who can invest a lot of time to customize and maintain it plugins, server issues, and in game.

It's not entirely your fault so don't feel too bad. There is just a lot that needs to be done and unfortunately you just don't have the skills at the moment. It'd be nice if we could get someone who knew enough about the server side stuff to maintain the server. As for population minecraft is already a slow game when it comes to population anyhow but it's more of how popular servers will keep bringing in new players because they have higher voting ranks. The fact that you're the only staff I've even seen on minecraft for a while doesn't help either. The issues stem from lots of things that aren't in your control to be fair. I am curious on what will happen to the server as well but I can definitely hope for the best ^-^;

I actually joined the server myself, and only Spooks was online.

We talked about the server, and the many current bugs and glitches and some possible ideas on how the community might fix it, even when our admins (as dedicated as they are) can't.

So, first thing I noticed without even talking to Spooks was that the /store command didn't work (no permission).

I made a plugin, it took me just 5 minutes to write and compile. When you type /store, it does this:

[spoiler=Image]

ai.gyazo.com_c4a7863d5aac35ea44b8e36155f40cf6.png.912edc0f03f17d163ec4edf7204fb5e7.png

It even plays a cute little "ding" to when you run the command :3

I mean, little things like this many of xG's members could do!

I know it takes a little bit of extra work on the Admins part, but why not just post the config files online somewhere, then allow the community to edit them? An Admin could then pick the one with the best configuration.

This could save a LOT of time on configuration, where MANY of the problems (Spooks tells me) originate from.

Believe me, I ran a Minecraft server for two years and my biggest folly was not accepting help from the community because I was worried about them abusing powers (and rightfully so, actually). But something like this would allow xG to work on improving the server as a community, without any risk of abusing any kind of powers because there are none to be abused.

Just an idea.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I actually joined the server myself, and only Spooks was online.

We talked about the server, and the many current bugs and glitches and some possible ideas on how the community might fix it, even when our admins (as dedicated as they are) can't.

So, first thing I noticed without even talking to Spooks was that the /store command didn't work (no permission).

I made a plugin, it took me just 5 minutes to write and compile. When you type /store, it does this:

[spoiler=Image]

[ATTACH=full]28301[/ATTACH]

It even plays a cute little "ding" to when you run the command :3

I mean, little things like this many of xG's members could do!

I know it takes a little bit of extra work on the Admins part, but why not just post the config files online somewhere, then allow the community to edit them? An Admin could then pick the one with the best configuration.

This could save a LOT of time on configuration, where MANY of the problems (Spooks tells me) originate from.

Believe me, I ran a Minecraft server for two years and my biggest folly was not accepting help from the community because I was worried about them abusing powers (and rightfully so, actually). But something like this would allow xG to work on improving the server as a community, without any risk of abusing any kind of powers because there are none to be abused.

Just an idea.

Going to talk to Rhododendron first, I will discuss with you and the other interested members about minecraft via forums or teamspeak later this week.

Don't worry guys, @MineCrack and I will be returning to be division leaders of minecraft. We have been in talks with the higher ups and have agreed that this is necessary to the health of xG as a whole. The server will be completely revamped, introducing a spawn built by @gryfons and @lilbleed. Hopefully you guys enjoy it :)