Bone

Second Language Advice

After working at my job for nearly a year, I recently discovered my employer offers free lessons in learning a second language.

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but my issue is... What language?

I was thinking Spanish, since I live and work in Texas, and Spanish is very widely used. But everyone knows Spanish here (except me apparently...).

I was also thinking of learning something like Italian or Norwegian, but I'm not sure how practical they would be.

So my question is... Help? I just need a little advice on which would be practical for life/work or something that would look good on a resume for future career opportunities.

Bonus points for anyone with experience on having job chances increased by knowing another language.

Well, it depends on what you want to do. Being bilingual can certainly raise the chances of an employer hiring you, some jobs specifically look for people that are bilingual. Choosing what language you want to learn is really up to you though. Spanish is pretty standard and quite useful in the states depending on your job/location.

The more you know the more you're worth.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Well, it depends on what you want to do. Being bilingual can certainly raise the chances of an employer hiring you, some jobs specifically look for people that are bilingual. Choosing what language you want to learn is really up to you though. Spanish is pretty standard and quite useful in the states depending on your job/location.

The more you know the more you're worth.

Well, I have mostly been and currently working in retail, so dealing with customers is a normal thing. I work overnight though, so not very many, but it's still a possibility.

Spanish is very common in my area as is, strangely enough, Chinese

Top 5 languages apparently to learn as a second language are Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish, German and then Portuguese. Being bilingual always has benefits, it just depends on you finding a second language that will you serve you in life not only now, but 10, 15, 20 years from now.

The Top Languages to Learn in 2017

Well I know 2 languages and learning 1 rn and I recommend Portuguese (Brazilian one, definitely not biased) but its similar to Spanish due to being one of the Romance languages. The reason why I recommend it is that there are more and more Brazilians moving here (due to Brazil being corrupt af) and I don't know if its just my area being witness to this but I'm just going to guess they're moving not just here but more places around the USA. I mean in your case I would learn Spanish but if you're looking for something else (thats similar?) I would 100% recommend the Brazilian Portuguese. Also fun fact Portuguese was my first language and I knew it better than English when I was a kid but due to being born in the USA I had to start learning English (this was all around at a tender young age) so you can still kinda struggle with my sentence structure xd

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Top 5 languages apparently to learn as a second language are Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish, German and then Portuguese. Being bilingual always has benefits, it just depends on you finding a second language that will you serve you in life not only now, but 10, 15, 20 years from now.

The Top Languages to Learn in 2017

Ah, that's neat. Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning a bit toward Mandarin now.

Well I know 2 languages and learning 1 rn and I recommend Portuguese (Brazilian one, definitely not biased) but its similar to Spanish due to being one of the Romance languages. The reason why I recommend it is that there are more and more Brazilians moving here (due to Brazil being corrupt af) and I don't know if its just my area being witness to this but I'm just going to guess they're moving not just here but more places around the USA. I mean in your case I would learn Spanish but if you're looking for something else (thats similar?) I would 100% recommend the Brazilian Portuguese. Also fun fact Portuguese was my first language and I knew it better than English when I was a kid but due to being born in the USA I had to start learning English (this was all around at a tender young age) so you can still kinda struggle with my sentence structure xd

Huh, interesting, thanks.

My only advice is learning in an immersion classroom is so much more effective than Rosetta Stone. So whenever possible do that.

Source:My sister is studying to teach English as a Second language and speaks fluent Español.

Learn other language it's hard and takes too much time. If you don't practice a lot,probably you will forget the grammar and the vocabulary.:(

When I started coming to the surf server I didn't know any single word of English,I used to change the colors of my trails to comunicate, I got ban once for bad understand the rules Since I used To traslate the rules by Google Translatetor ( DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE ) ....PLOP , look at me now! thanks for the Constant practice at the Surf server ,i can speak and understand english. if the surf server weren't exist , i would NOT speak English right now.Personally, I recommend you spanish in your case because You are living and working in Texas now, there are people who speak Spanish So you could practice Spanish with those people to improve your language quickly like me with my english.(y)

¡Concha de mono!....Este párrafo me tomo como una hora.. Plop! y me olvide hacer mi tarea de ingles.