Aczel

Surf And Weapon Abuse

I like the idea on catching or preventing people from cheating on the surf I'm not sure on how to integrate like how goblin said maybe with the thing on jump maps use. I do like the idea on this but I'm not sure how we woul integrate it and also enforce it if just a normal rule.

Could we not just pick around the seed and instead of making a specific rule for that, add a rule that states not to exploit.

In my opinion Surf rules are unclear and we have a lack of rules there, adding no exploiting would let this Issue fall into that category?

Could we not just pick around the seed and instead of making a specific rule for that, add a rule that states not to exploit.

In my opinion Surf rules are unclear and we have a lack of rules there, adding no exploiting would let this Issue fall into that category?

Thats kind of what you are going to have to expect in a suggestion thread, picking out the negatives and the positives.

As I said, making a rule for it, no one would follow it and it would be extremely difficult for us to keep track of considering we would have to constantly monitor demoman and soldiers.

Not many maps provide power-ups that are that big of a deal that the rule should be enforced on.

Currently I feel the only maps that this rule would be valid on is

surf_overlook_v2 - You spawn huge with 1500 health and bullet resistance, you also get infinite ammo.

surf_horizon - Gate Issues, If both teams have orb equipped, both spawn gates open and hell breaks loose with the spawn killing.

Other than that, I don't see much of an issue.

If staff see it as an issue or it is causing an issue only then should action be taken, but I don't think it should be heavily enforced.

-1 stands

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Hell no, If we disabled rocket launchers and sticky jumpers, we would lose a lot of players and get many complaints about it because a lot of people enjoy market gardening and sticky jumping period because the maps have a lot of space to do so. And we just have a lot of regulars that play soldier and demoman.

I'm confused.

Was the complaint not that people were cheating in surf to reach the end, using weapons that gave an advantage? Yet if we remove those weapons, we'd be upsetting regulars who come to our surf server...to do combat?

I don't understand. Do you want this to be a surf server or a combat server? You can't exactly do both and complain that there's imbalances when specific classes can reach the end with their weapons.

IMHO, this server should have ALWAYS had a focus on the surf and not on combat, but any time I try and suggest changes to make it such, they automatically get shot down.

I'm not quite sure what exactly you guys want. >.>

I'm confused.

Was the complaint not that people were cheating in surf to reach the end, using weapons that gave an advantage? Yet if we remove those weapons, we'd be upsetting regulars who come to our surf server...to do combat?

I don't understand. Do you want this to be a surf server or a combat server? You can't exactly do both and complain that there's imbalances when specific classes can reach the end with their weapons.

IMHO, this server should have ALWAYS had a focus on the surf and not on combat, but any time I try and suggest changes to make it such, they automatically get shot down.

We are both, if we were just surf we would not have maps with jail, most people attempting to surf but don't get far hang out and just combat because they enjoy the people in the server and just have fun chatting and battling. Taking away those 2 weapons would cause chaos, trust me... We already get complaints about the little things ;p

Yes they are used for cheating but taking away two main weapons is just not a good idea at all.

Again, I wouldn't make it a heavily enforced rule, just if the power up for that specific map is an extremely big deal if they got it by cheating then yes, action would be taken, most of the maps power ups and extras is just like a small sniping spot or access to music or a few jail buttons.

Orbs and the maps I listed, those I see the issue with, but we don't have many of those.

If you guys don't want people to use sticky jumpers or any other weapon to reach the end of a surf map, the only solution is to disable them. So you can either have a surf server with the weapons enabled and put up with people using them, or disable the weapons and put up with people complaining about them being disabled. You can't have both.

The only other option is to add a rule...which a plugin could easily solve, and mods would have to be on to enforce. That doesn't seem like a proper solution to me, but that's just my view.

Don't know what else to tell you. ><

I'm confused.

Not really, not as i have seen anyway.

It is usually really combat based or in between, I have yet to see the server be more surf based.

It is usually really combat based or in between, I have yet to see the server be more surf based.

Which is probably why I'm not too familiar with our surf server, as I always opt to go to ReSurfed over our own servers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm certain our patrons are great and everything, but when I want to go surf on TF2, I'm not looking for a server where people mainly focus on fighting in jails over actually surfing. I want something where I can surf a bountiful amount of varying maps, keep track of my records, and know my completion times. That simply isn't what our surf server is.

And I try and keep my views on it reserved, because it seems like every time I express my views on the matter, I get my head bitten off.

But whatever you guys want, I guess we'll tailor to. We can totally rid the server of this problem, but it would involve disabling weapons altogether. The only other alternative is enacting a rule that would require mods to enforce, which doesn't really present a permanent solution.

we would have to constantly monitor demoman and soldiers.

-1 stands

actually ..that´s easy .. cause if you see on chat .. !cpsave !cpsave !cpsave !cpsave and !cptele !cptele !cptele ...constantly is 100% sure .. he is beating the map using the cheap way, I know that.

Which is probably why I'm not too familiar with our surf server, as I always opt to go to ReSurfed over our own servers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm certain our patrons are great and everything, but when I want to go surf on TF2, I'm not looking for a server where people mainly focus on fighting in jails over actually surfing. I want something where I can surf a bountiful amount of varying maps, keep track of my records, and know my completion times. That simply isn't what our surf server is.

You should visit our surf server , cause it change at all ... We have funny people saying random things , telling their life and also being friendly with other.

actually ..that´s easy .. cause if you see on chat .. !cpsave !cpsave !cpsave !cpsave and !cptele !cptele !cptele ...constantly is 100% sure .. he is beating the map using the cheap way, I know that.

Quite a lot of people use the / prefix, hiding it.

Quite a lot of people use the / prefix, hiding it.

---

also @Scootaloo

if you are suggesting (all) weapons get disabled, im sorry but that probably would instantly kill the server population, I mean having a server that is unique not just surf based is nice and gives players a variety to do.

---

I personally in the past attempted to sticky jump to the end and it is not easy, nor have I actually made it to the end. Just saying.

----

Also as for your comment on the adding rules, the permanent solution, it would be the exact same way as the spawnkilling rule, we don't have scripts or anything like that preventing spawnkilling therefor it isn't a non permanent solution either. I mean I guess the rule would be okay, but I definetly with every part of me will protest the disabling of weapons.

---

Also @Bello maybe we could add "Do not cheat your way to the end of the map, this is not allowed!" to the chat notices for those too lazy to read the motd if this rule gets put into action.

---

// sorry about how this is formatted, on phone .-. //

How do you expect staff to enforce that?

As I said I typed it on my phone, it may not sound correct, I will clean it up later. Lol

Mainly it's just for if staff aren't on and they see the message, a player sees them breaking the rules and calladmin ( hopefully..)

Honestly you guys, I understand that you cannot properly enforce this being a rule. But also understand that currently there is no rule that says anything like this is not allowed. I have seen many times this has happened and staff could not do anything about the situation. I made this thread with the hope of possibly making a change so that something could be done if necessary.