Sign in to follow this  
McNeo

My Two Cents

Permission to speak freely? Ok thanks. @@silence @Aegean!

Here's my two cents...

To cut costs

It's my understanding that xG has one box running multiple servers. In layman's terms that means one computer running multiple different games. So it doesn't matter if xG has one CS:S server or 20, the cost is the same. Now, I've never priced out game servers myself, but are there any cheaper options? Half xG's servers are empty most of the time anyway so what about a less powerful box? Or renting 3 or 4 servers individually?

Next. How many domain names do we need? I understand domain names can be relatively inexpensive if purchased at the right time in the right place (as low as $1 a year), but they can get spendy too. On average let's say $10 a year. xenogamers.com makes perfect sense and that's what comes up when you do a Google search... So do we really need to drop money on more domains? I understand it's not much but every bit counts.

What about this forum board? Is it on the same server as the games or is it a different server? Is it possible to downgrade the account - less storage space, less monthly bandwidth allotment, etc. (Don't go under what we're using of course, but can we downgrade and still have enough room to wiggle?)

Also regarding this forum board, is the license bought and paid for or is it a monthly fee as well? There hundreds if not thousands of free option out there for forum boards. Sure they're not flashy but they work just as well.

To raise money

If we had a regular pub server I think it would open a lot of doors. We could have weekly contests, high score prizes, xg-vs-public events. Right now the RPG games are great but there's no way of fairly ranking an individual player within those.

Try a referral program. "Have your friend donate $10 or more and mention your name and you get ..."

PUSH PUSH PUSH networking. Facebook: "If this post gets 100 likes silence will shave his..." Twitter: "First five to share this get pictures of..." (sarcastic examples, but you get the idea).

Paid staff?

Does xG have any paid staff? Or do you guys need extra help with any back-end stuff or record keeping or whatever? I'll give ya 5 - 10 hours a week if you need something done, kept track of, etc.

[ATTACH]2631.vB[/ATTACH]

Here are my two cents.

/srsmode

This a great idea. When I priced it out we could save $400+ if we just ran individual servers. That estimate was including all of the empty servers no one is on. Now if we cut those servers we could save at least $500. The referral part of this is a good idea because it would get xG money and could also populate the servers. The JailBreak server population has gone down with school but if we could get more people in different time zones or people who have no lives. We can the servers populated 24/7.

pennies.jpg.20567ee1f98622778b2f4405f4edae57.jpg

I'm down with the Twitter. Let me know what to put and You got it. :)

Streaming I can also do. Helping anyway. Honestly. I just fucking love this shit. xD

Yes i love the community events. This is gonna be a nice big step. We can get streams of members and staff. I'd volunteer to stream and do crazy shit.

Pubs are another great idea. Just keep pushing the idea, lets actually make it happen!

The reason we have a box is because getting servers individually although might cost less, it is not reliable at all and can also go offline often. The box we have is perfect and I doubt we will change it anytime soon. I really do like some of the public ideas, and once my school load gets less I will focus more on the clan and make some big changes to xG.

STAY TUNED!

Any more suggestions please post :D Great to read

I am also finishing school soon. Though i may be visiting the gf for a bit. I'll try and think of ideas till i can do more.