Tekk

Add Ecruteak And Celadon To Pkmn Trade

Add more Pkmn maps to Pkmn Trade?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Add more Pkmn maps to Pkmn Trade?

• Yes please add them
    • No don't

just had to post this but @ColdEndeavour didn't feel that Celadon was ready for the server, it's in v1 and he had trouble with it and had to stop making it. I'd rather not put something on the servers when the creator was explicitly against it.

I downloaded Celadon today and checked it out. Looks alright. I hate to criticize, but I've found a few flaws as of now:

ai.imgur.com_XcGyYja.thumb.png.725307ff50f3654e1b67e20f339408eb.png Some buildings that have doors don't lead anywhere. You can just walk up to doors like they're a wall.

ai.imgur.com_AgRaf4G.thumb.png.01e67b8db9642ce14635a02cb7b55f0c.png It can't be helped, but it's too open here. Too OP for sentries.

ai.imgur.com_YARZY04.thumb.png.68e8a7f636ba5e37cd1bc41786c64f75.png Not much of a problem and a pretty good spot, but you can build inside some plants.

ai.imgur.com_qB9AV2Q.thumb.png.d514bc3b1758f97b704af24d88d84749.png Some of the songs are much quieter than the others. For example, the Hoenn Gym Leader Orchestrated theme is considerably quieter than the S.S Aqua Eurobeat Remix song.

ai.imgur.com_2ORxmFs.thumb.png.23d86c277af6695d06c61c171634dce2.png Blu team, once again, have a disadvantage. There are deep pools by Blu spawn, where you can place teleporters, and you can place a sentry on the roof of a building nearby spawn.

Though this map has flaws, it's still enjoyable. I'm enjoying looking around and the nostalgia. I'd like to see this on Pokemon Trade or Trade Gaming History if that's OK with @ColdEndeavour . This map is on gamebanana, so I don't see why there should be a problem. pkmn_celadoncity_v1 (Team Fortress 2 > Maps > Trade) - GAMEBANANA

I'll only +1 celadon being added if @ColdEndeavour comes back and says it's fine. He never finished it, and we shouldn't add something that the creator explicitly didn't want us to add. Especially since it's unfinished.

I'll only +1 celadon being added if @ColdEndeavour comes back and says it's fine. He never finished it, and we shouldn't add something that the creator explicitly didn't want us to add. Especially since it's unfinished.

+1

Well if people are worried about opened space I mean the map we use in Pokemon is just as bad for open space saying that you can get headshot-ed? when you walk out of red spawn while blues have cover, and the fact that red side has buildings where you can make bases and shtuff but red team can't do that to the blue team...but I am a crappy mapper so Fuk it... +1

(I really need to get back into learning ;-; )

EDIT: 13/05/2015

Both maps are bad and are being withheld from GameBanana for I am currently unable to devtest without a functional TF2 client (details below). Anyone who wants to decompile, repair, and re-distribute has the all-clear.

I am deeply sorry about the inconvenience .

Alright.

You have my attention.

I have had no Internet since Christmas morning (discontinued during midnight hours - right now I'm using local wifi with some old dysfunctional 4th gen iPod). It's within real-life inconveniences, I will leave it at that. The point is that TF2's Smissmas event updating queue was in the process of being distributed amongst Steam - my ISP closed my address while it was updating, the result being TF2 is deadlocked and I cannot use it for testing purposes. Therefor, any projects for TF2 are either on hold or cancelled until I deem it to be an appropriate/stable circumstance to renew my subscription. That is why my Delfino Plaza project is for GMod and incompatible/unsuitable for TF2.

Now,

Celadon City - That map is dead, I'll throw that out there.

I did not do a good job with it, in fact, it's rubbish to me - embarrassing really. The comment about that one door not leading anywhere - did it lead anywhere in the original game? It did not (Gen II). As for the quiet music - I tried. My studio headset broke and I have yet to replace it, therefor, I ended up using those mediocre earbuds apple packages with their products. End result was dodgy audio quality (audio perception for quality output).

The playability of the map is trivial - The last time I used it was in early Q2 2014 - It's ugly, but it works with some balance faults in mind and general performance drawbacks I tried to curb with that disgusting fog. I should get rid of it on GameBanana - but I leave it there wih the idea of "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Anyone who wants to modify it has my All-Clear.

Ecruteak City - I consider that map to be final despite the team balance problems and the horrible fog/draw distance and whatever else I've forgotten about. This one is arguably better off than Celadon in terms of development, completion, and accuracy. This one has been subject to severe ridicule - and I can't blame anyone for it but myself. If you guys use this, your choice.

Also, feel free to modify this map, too.

TL;DR

Ecruteak is better off than Celadon.

Feel free to modify.

Not sure when I'll be kicking again in TF2.

Rip in Poland.

So. I want to make my opinion clear. We should only have ecruteak and goldenrod on the server. Definitely no celadon(we shouldn't have unfinished maps on the server, no exceptions also the creator of the map said it wasn't ready, he knows better than we do), DEFINITELY no saffron (the size of the character compared to the size of the map is disgusting), and no victory road (well made, complete, and looks good, but painfully unbalanced in favor of the defense on the last cap, it was on gaming history rotation, the best team couldn't get the last cap on the worst team, terribly unbalanced)

The reason pokemon has stayed populated so consistently for so long with only one map, is because Goldenrod is a 100% complete and polished, and altogether well made map. Adding ecruteak works well, as it is the next town you come across in the game, and the map is complete, finished, and reasonably polished. Adding maps just because they're about pokemon is going to lead us down a path of the server depopulating because people don't like shitty maps. This server is successful because of how good of a map Goldenrod is, and Ecruteak is the only pokemon I've ever seen that came close to being the same quality.

Tl;dr: adding anything besides ecruteak is a bad idea because the population was built on a great map, adding maps that aren't as good could only have one result, a population that isn't as good.

The reason pokemon has stayed populated so consistently for so long with only one map, is because Goldenrod is a 100% complete and polished, and altogether well made map.

I disagree. It's because the name is Pokemon, so when people search for "Pokemon", Pokemon Trade comes up. You don't expect new people to type "goldenrod" specifically do you?

It looks like the Goldenrod-Ecruteak rotation has already begun, and I'm cool with it. I was originally going to suggest we consider Saffron as well, but I definitely agree to nix Victory Road. The Pokemon Trade Server we know and love is fun because it offers something for everyone. If you want to be competitive, be competitive. If you want to be friendly and just hang out, do that. If you want to explore a cool map, go for it. Goldenrod, Ecruteak, and to a certain extent Saffron offer all those things. Celadon, while true to the original, is too long, large and empty to be fun to play competitively (although it has some pretty cool DJ-room tracks); on the other hand, Victory Road simply railroads you into competitive play.

You might want to reconsider introducing Saffron (maybe you could enter it into the rotation and remove/keep it based on community feedback?), but definitely stick with Goldenrod and Ecruteak for now. Thanks for bringing this up. :)

~Hero

I disagree. It's because the name is Pokemon, so when people search for "Pokemon", Pokemon Trade comes up. You don't expect new people to type "goldenrod" specifically do you?

Just because it's a "Pokemon" server doesn't mean we should jump at the chance to include as many Pokemon maps as we can. If it isn't well-designed (Celadon) or creates impossible win conditions (Victory Road), there's no point in including it. Just because it's Pokemon-themed doesn't make it fun to play in TF2.