Thorax_

[Poll] Hybrid Warning Concept

What do you think?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• No
    • Yes
    • Change it up a bit and it would be okay

THERE HAVE BEEN NEW VERSIONS OF THE CONCEPT THROUGHOUT THE THREAD, PLEASE CHECK OUT REST OF THREAD BEFORE VOTING, THE ONE BELOW IS MY VERY CRAPPY ROUGH DRAFT.

I thought about if there was a possibility there could be a plugin where the format you see below popped up on the user being warned screen where their screen gets completely filled blocking them from seeing anything except this warning. There would be a script running preventing them from slaying self to get rid of it and forces them into friendly until the countdown ends.

With the hard warning they have no excuse of saying they didn't know they were warned.

3E6F003B-3B0A-4EC3-8002-8AF6826B0DB7.thumb.png.5cbf5fc77cf8c4b83a09ff464f582616.png

The command could be something like

/hardwarn [user] [reason] [duration]

The duration would be a functional countdown.

What do you guys think about this concept?

@Aegean @Rhododendron @Bello @virr @Vexx @mrnutty12 @Bone @Elcark @Lithium @Bleed

Edited by TheSupremePatriot (see edit history)

I like the concept but ehh... I'd much rather have something like that popup in chat rather than it produce an overlay on a player.

There would be a script running preventing them from slaying self to get rid of it and forces them into friendly until the countdown ends

I'm not sure if this is 100% possible. The friendly command has to be done a certain way and isn't instant. If you're using a plugin to force an overlay, they don't have to be alive to begin with, I think, so blocking them from kill binding themselves wouldn't matter.

Honestly, I feel this is overkill for just warning a person. Maybe a command that allows us to warn someone in chat with much more visible text would work better. Like forcing an easy to see chat color and change of text size (if possible within Source). Other than that, I feel this is a bit too much.

I like the concept but ehh... I'd much rather have something like that popup in chat rather than it produce an overlay on a player.

I'm not sure if this is 100% possible. The friendly command has to be done a certain way and isn't instant. If you're using a plugin to force an overlay, they don't have to be alive to begin with, I think, so blocking them from kill binding themselves wouldn't matter.

Honestly, I feel this is overkill for just warning a person. Maybe a command that allows us to warn someone in chat with much more visible text would work better. Like forcing an easy to see chat color and change of text size (if possible within Source). Other than that, I feel this is a bit too much.

Hardwarn would basically be last resort before they get the kick or ban.

This is for those who we have warned with msay, allchat and vocally and they still ignore.

I'll have a nicer concept after college today, I'll make it animated too.

Hardwarn would basically be last resort before they get the kick or ban.

This is for those who we have warned with msay, allchat and vocally and they still ignore.

I'll have a nicer concept after college today, I'll make it animated too.

I really wouldn't want a warning stopping me from playing the game suddenly. Imagine running around as a Scout, you're about to kill someone and then suddenly the warning message with the black screen appears and you can no longer play until you close it, so you die. I'd be pissed.

The current system is fine.

@Bone doing god's work.

I really wouldn't want a warning stopping me from playing the game suddenly. Imagine running around as a Scout, you're about to kill someone and then suddenly the warning message with the black screen appears and you can no longer play until you close it, so you die. I'd be pissed.

The current system is fine.

Not really any different than being slayed, besides. This would be for instances in the extreme cases such as “spawn camping/killing, bodyblocking, etc)

Because at that point they would be slayed anyway since they had to be hard warned so they pretty much would deserve it as punishment

This would not be used in minor cases.

As I said, I’ll make a better version in about 8 hours. I was using keynote on my iPad so a fill looks like full screen.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Not really any different than being slayed, besides. This would be for instances in the extreme cases such as “spawn camping/killing, bodyblocking, etc)

Because at that point they would be slayed anyway since they had to be hard warned so they pretty much would deserve it as punishment

This would not be used in minor cases.

As I said, I’ll make a better version in about 8 hours. I was using keynote on my iPad so a fill looks like full screen.

Still feels incredibly pointless.

Still feels incredibly pointless.

I mean in most cases of those whom don’t read our warnings, they usually never come back. So this generous but harsh warning would let them better know they are doing wrong.

Honestly, I don't really understand the point of hardwarning someone. Basically a kick serves the exact same purpose since they can rejoin automatically while getting a message that a staff member puts explaining what they did wrong.

Additionally, if this were to be implemented, I doubt a lot of staff would use it frequently. There really isn't a lot of scenarios where you would want to do this to someone over kicking them/warning them and I fail to see how this would fit into the staff protocol and would require all staff to readjust to the new procedure (which may take some time to get used to).

Have you not been asked “WHAT THE FCK WHY WAS I KICKED?! I DIDNT DO ANYTHING!” ?

I get this a lot and I put a very clear and easy to read kick reason that if they just fast click off of it which I guarantee 90% of our players that get kicked do.... they don’t see our kick message. With this they are forced to read what they are doing wrong.

Most people probably assume they lost connection or something and just quickly exit that dialog.

I’ll make a less intrusive demo, it won’t be blocking their gameplay but it will be incredibly noticeable.

This kind of is supposed to be like a private msay but easier to read, easier to notice, and doesn’t go to everyone interrupting their gameplay. As when the times I have to use MSAY, I get barked at for it by players when I’m using it for administrative purposes.

I see all your concerns but give me a chance to give you a detailed look later today at what I’m trying to describe before making further assumptions of how intense it is. My first image was a very very very rough draft. Just showing textual context. Not full on visual.

Surf would be one of the main areas of usage. As we have numerous users who spawnkill and snipe from spawn etc. And that’s our main consisting offense that we have to address.

In short, our current notice alerts aren’t all that effective in certain cases, at times and are intrusive on the lines of gameplay for everyone when we use MSAY, this would help target one user and ensure that they notice it and have time to notice it.

I don’t currently have a chance to format so I’ll fix it later :P

I do think that the current warning system works just fine, but at the same time, there are situations where it can be faulted. Let's say I'm on a server and I warn someone for breaking a rule, then I leave the server and then a different staff member comes on and the person breaks the same rule again. The new staff member would only warn them, despite them already breaking the rule. Perhaps it would be wise to find a plugin where you can warn someone and admins will have a way of knowing that they have been warned? Other than that, I feel like this plugin would be a bit of overkill, even when used in situations like spawncamping.

It's a good idea, but honestly, if this popped up on my screen I'd leave the server and never come back.

Why not just have a "title" message or whatever they're called appear on the middle of the screen that isn't an overlay instead so we don't spook/jumpscare people or make them feel unwelcome? :p

I think the second version looks much better, too.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I warn someone for breaking a rule, then I leave the server and then a different staff member comes on and the person breaks the same rule again. The new staff member would only warn them, despite them already breaking the rule.
Yeah I've definitely faced that problem before so it would be nice if they implemented a system that if you like type @ the person's name in the warn it would save the warn and tell it to any staff member who joins for a certain amount of time before ending after a while, kinda like the ban save system that we have now but it only shows up for a limited amount of time. Also the idea about the hardban is kinda nice since it would definitely get the point across but like most things that you warn for people only need one warning before punishment and the all chat warn can't be muted so it does it job pretty well enough. No point in warning the person once in all chat and then with hardwarn when I could just kick them or slay them since if they ignore that then it's obvious they don't care and that does seem more annoying then kick and more likely that they will just get pissed and break the rules intentionally out of spite.