Matsi

Suggestion For New Form Of Punishment

I was just thinking.... people are being banned for saying things in chat or voice or whatever and that made me come up with this.

Instead of banning someone from the server couldn't we just gag/mute them for the duration that they would have instead been banned for.

Wouldn't that have the same effect in resolving the issue?

I've done that a few times but it does not really seem as effective as banning people. Not to mention gagging/muting people for a short period is usually essential before we hand out bans. The problem is that you can easily avoid gags/mutes.

Furthermore the "message" does not really come through. I believe people are more likely to learn their lesson if they cannot actually play on these servers anymore.

It's good as it is right now.

Edited by Bello (see edit history)

I've done that a few times but it does not really seem as effective as banning people. Not to mention gagging/muting people for a short period is usually essential before we hand out bans. The problem is that you can easily avoid gags/mutes.

Furthermore the "message" does not really come through. I believe people are more likely to learn their lesson of they cannot actually play on these servers anymore.

It's good as it is right now.

How can you easily avoid gags/mutes?

How can you easily avoid gags/mutes?

I am not 100% how people manage to unmute themselves nowadays, but take this guy as an example. Xeno Gamers

He was spamming chat binds and bypassed all gags he was given within a minute or so.

Even if it was impossible to bypass these, my opinion remains the same due to the reasons I've already stated.

I've seen many times where people get gagged/muted and they use the other form of chat (i.e if they're muted they will use text and vice versa) to spam and beg to be unmuted/ungagged. The other problem is, if they get kicked OR banned, they will most likely never come back to the server (talking about the typical offender who doesn't even care about rules here). It's a very flustering process, and I'm going to have to side with Bello. What happens happens, and if they're only gagged/muted than they won't really understand that what they're doing is not acceptable on the servers.