Vexx

Staff Psa: Issuing Warnings

You are a staff member. I understand that having fun is your goal, but when you willingly accept the responsibility to uphold rules on the servers, you don't always reach the goal of fun.
Give this man a medal he just put what I was thinking into words.

As staff, your first priority is moderation of the servers. If those duties take away from your "fun" or make you less succesful at a gamemode, then so be it, you still need to fulfill those duties. As staff, your own personal fun is less important than the fun of everyone else on the server. You keep the server enjoyable for THEM, not yourself. Taking a few seconds to type a warning isn't going to ruin more than a round for yourself. But making a vocal warning that doesn't get heard just means the punished player will get confused, make a protest, and you'll spend your day defending yourself on the forums. All because you didn't want to waste that one round. More is expected of staff than other players, and part of that is giving up a turn as hale or getting backstabbed as a blu on jb to type out a warning.

.. If they're mic spamming or spamming via text, then gag/mute them before/after providing the necessary warning (regardless of it being bumped to hell). Obviously there are case-by-case uses of commands; if someone is outright flooding chat (literally copy+pasting something stupid like the 'lenny face' pandemic) then that is means enough to gag immediately and then warn. Likewise when someone is holding down their mic and speaking incoherently or is otherwise displaying an obvious intent to troll.

Otherwise I completely agree with what has already been said, being that Staff are there to maintain the Servers and to foster a healthy and fun environment for Players. If you aren't able to stop whatever it is you're doing in that particular Server during a round to settle a dispute because you want to keep a good score, or are having 'fun', then I'll put it bluntly and I'm not going to sugar-coat it: resign and do not be a Staff Member. I won't speak on behalf of the Higher-Ups, but ideally any gaming community will want Staff who take pride in what they do; those who are willing to put aside whatever it is they're doing to completely handle a situation in the correct manner. Staff Members represent Xeno Gamers more than the average Members do, and therefore should make an effort to maintain their integrity both in and out of the Servers when dealing with disputes.

Your top priority [as a Staff Member] should and always will be to fulfill your duty as Staff. To put this into perspective, it wasn't uncommon in the CSS Division to pass Warden or to slay/kill oneself in the middle of something in order to provide complete attention to a situation and to moderate when necessary.

TL;DR

- Text warnings are preferable (if not mandatory) to vocal warnings as no excuses can be made by Players stating that no warning was issued during a Ban Protest

- Staff Priorities take precedence over anything in Servers. Take some pride in what you (Staff in general) do and perform your duties as a Staff Member, or step-down. You weren't promoted to have fun, but that doesn't mean you can't have any on the side.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

What I used to do is keep a file on all users I issue warnings/kicks to so I can follow up on the correct punishment if needed as well as have something to hand I can pass onto other staff so they can see past incidents and handle them accordingly It also helps in any ban appeals to have a record of rules broken with time and date stamps.

It's more work but since there is only a record of bans listed on xenogamers, having a personal file containing warnings/kicks is always a plus.

and yes a lot of people for various reasons do not have sound enabled so a warning in the chat is mandatory at all times followed by a verbal warning and that should be the correct protocol for dealing with all situations.

.. If they're mic spamming or spamming via text, then gag/mute them before/after providing the necessary warning (regardless of it being bumped to hell). Obviously there are case-by-case uses of commands; if someone is outright flooding chat (literally copy+pasting something stupid like the 'lenny face' pandemic) then that is means enough to gag immediately and then warn. Likewise when someone is holding down their mic and speaking incoherently or is otherwise displaying an obvious intent to troll.

Otherwise I completely agree with what has already been said, being that Staff are there to maintain the Servers and to foster a healthy and fun environment for Players. If you aren't able to stop whatever it is you're doing in that particular Server during a round to settle a dispute because you want to keep a good score, or are having 'fun', then I'll put it bluntly and I'm not going to sugar-coat it: resign and do not be a Staff Member. I won't speak on behalf of the Higher-Ups, but ideally any gaming community will want Staff who take pride in what they do; those who are willing to put aside whatever it is they're doing to completely handle a situation in the correct manner. Staff Members represent Xeno Gamers more than the average Members do, and therefore should make an effort to maintain their integrity both in and out of the Servers when dealing with disputes.

Your top priority [as a Staff Member] should and always will be to fulfill your duty as Staff. To put this into perspective, it wasn't uncommon in the CSS Division to pass Warden or to slay/kill oneself in the middle of something in order to provide complete attention to a situation and to moderate when necessary.

TL;DR

- Text warnings are preferable (if not mandatory) to vocal warnings as no excuses can be made by Players stating that no warning was issued during a Ban Protest

- Staff Priorities take precedence over anything in Servers. Take some pride in what you (Staff in general) do and perform your duties as a Staff Member, or step-down. You weren't promoted to have fun, but that doesn't mean you can't have any on the side.

Yeah obviously if someone's breaking a rule I will deal with it and go out of my way to stop them from breaking that rule. However, a simple warn on mic is so much more efficient and is just as good as a warn in chat as it has its positives such as being a lot easier to do without breaking the flow of the game and you can do it anywhere at anytime almost. Obvious negatives include what has already been stated, but I strongly believe that warnings on mic are a lot more efficient in situations as I've watched every staff member do who have mics. I take a lot of pride in being staff of course but I'm trying to say if you aren't enjoying yourself then you should probably step down. Some situations as I've previously stated still apply such as being the death on deathrun as that can ruin the game for everyone else who doesn't have a challenge and can rush on ahead and win the game because a staff member has to do their job. Being a warden on jailbreak obviously means that people should be listening to you on mic so you should be able to warn them as warden anyway.

Yeah obviously if someone's breaking a rule I will deal with it and go out of my way to stop them from breaking that rule. However, a simple warn on mic is so much more efficient and is just as good as a warn in chat as it has its positives such as being a lot easier to do without breaking the flow of the game and you can do it anywhere at anytime almost. Obvious negatives include what has already been stated, but I strongly believe that warnings on mic are a lot more efficient in situations as I've watched every staff member do who have mics. I take a lot of pride in being staff of course but I'm trying to say if you aren't enjoying yourself then you should probably step down. Some situations as I've previously stated still apply such as being the death on deathrun as that can ruin the game for everyone else who doesn't have a challenge and can rush on ahead and win the game because a staff member has to do their job. Being a warden on jailbreak obviously means that people should be listening to you on mic so you should be able to warn them as warden anyway.

I understand what you're saying, but you seem to be misunderstanding the point here. While it may be efficient, it is not a static way of ensuring the rule breaker understands that a warning has been given. There is no way to disregard text ingame (that I'm aware of), while voice-chat can simply be muted. Not only does this absolve our Staff of the whole "I didn't hear a warning" case, but it can also provide tangible evidence that a warning was issued.

Additionally, at no point should Staff bypass or otherwise ignore proper protocol or procedure because "other Staff do it". The proper steps to take would be to remind the offending Staff Member that they are to verbally warn the rule-breaker via text first before choosing to resort to vocal warnings.

I also realize there are many scenarios where warning via text can inconvenience Staff or hinder gameplay, but that's just it; it [potentially] inconveniences the Players for one round at the most (assuming it really takes that amount of time to deal with a rule-breaker) while a rule-breaker can hinder multiple rounds. If there are multiple occurrences of rule-breakers, then Staff should not be taking a prominent/active role (IE. Warden, Death, etc) to begin with because, as previously mentioned, your duties/responsibility to the Server(s) as Staff are priority #1.

Though you're correct, if you aren't enjoying what you do, then you should resign. As previously mentioned, it is by no means mandatory that anyone be Staff just as Staff should not feel obligated to maintain their position; there's no shame in stepping-down in order to enjoy the Servers more. You can still be a prominent role-model as a Member by taking demos every now and then and by reporting rule breakers without hampering your own fun.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Going to agree with people saying job comes before play and a text warning should be mandatory. It's not going to kill the entire day or mood just to have to type out a text warning so that everyone has a fair chance at seeing it, at most it's just a minor inconvenience to the one doing it. There's a whole slew of reasons one could or would want to keep voices off, even possibly hearing problems, but the most I can see when it comes to why people can't just do a text warning as well is that it's more efficient/convenient or because the game might possibly be interrupted for a bit if the staff is currently the one playing as a bigger role. Maybe it is more convenient but it's certainly not as fair. Got to think of the player's side of things. The efficiency argument is even debatable since voice chat could also be very active and people might not hear you- this happens particularly often in TGH where people are talking a lot and further enforces why people might keep voices off or why text chat warnings would be more useful.

26721-5f346753345e94dfd4de5f37bed0fbe0.jpg

Diagram was made By Vacindak and Bello XD

Personally, i think we could follow this diagram because we can avoid futures problems,Is important to us To give a Warning in chat and also through mic too.I know Using the mic is faster than typing but we need a prove if someone says " You didn´t give me a warning".

5aa4c4c082b46_VersionTerminadadelosprocesosdelstaff.thumb.png.11d3da571043c813136e7e684e5877d3.png

26721-5f346753345e94dfd4de5f37bed0fbe0.jpg

Diagram was made By Vacindak and Bello XD

Personally, i think we could follow this diagram because we can avoid futures problems,Is important to us To give a Warning in chat and also through mic too.I know Using the mic is faster than typing but we need a prove if someone says " You didn´t give me a warning".

It's very helpful but I feel we're giving people way too many warnings at this point.