Sign in to follow this  
McNeo

Can my work do this?

I'm not sure if this falls into a legal issue, a moral issue, both, or neither... Looking for your input on this, and if you have any experience or resources that would be great.

I started my new job today.

They are REQUIRING me to...

Set up work email on my PERSONAL cell phone.

Apply a password to my PERSONAL cell phone.

Install their server-managed anti-virus to my PERSONAL cell phone.

Add my PERSONAL home computer to their domain. This results in:

- They have remote access to my computer.

- They will install their server-managed anti-virus.

- They can enforce password policies.

The reimburse $30/month for my personal cell phone bill, and up to $50 a month for my personal internet bill - But does that give them the right to tell me what I have to do with my PERSONAL cell phone and computer?

Of course I won't take the reimbursements if I don't do these things - that's probably how they con you into doing these things.

Do they have the right to require these things on my PERSONAL devices?

Can I refuse to do this stuff without threat of losing my job?

As far as I'm concerned, if they want me to work from home, they should provide the tools (phone, computer) to do so, right?

Seems to me like it's a major breech of security right there. I honestly don't see the need to have those as Requirements, especially since those items should really be provided to you in this case.. That's pretty much giving them monitoring privileges over your private life, allowing them to watch every single little detail.

However; I have no such experience with companies that "require" these sorts of things, so I can't really give my input on it, I can only just speculate and give my opinion.

Legally that cant do that cause it is not a work requirement unless it is in the contract that you signed. See contracts can dodge certain rules if it is a reasonable excuse and they have to give a reason to do that. So if you ask they have to give you a logical explanation why they are doing that. If they dont then you dont have to unless you signed a contract. Then you basically get fucked.

If they pay for a portion of it, then yes. however if they are REQUIRING you to work from home and are declining to give you the tools to do so if you decline using your own personal things for your privacy and protection then there is an issue. if you decline to use your personal things and they don't allow you to work there instead of providing then you should be able to press charges.

Is it a large corporation? Either way, they should still be giving you a computer/phone (even if theyre shitty). Just tell them you arent comfortable with giving them access to your personal belongings.

I used to work for a company like that and they tried to do the same thing to me, all it took was me telling them no to using my personal stuff and I was given separate things for the company. I really don't think they can force you to use personal things for work no matter what it is because that stuff is private. Have you said anything to your superiors about it?