Sign in to follow this  
Vector

is the media to be blamed for tragedies?

obviously referring to sandy school shooting, James Holmes shooting, and other recent events i can't remember right now. is the media to be blamed for all of this or is there another issue that we all need to focus on? i saw Starcraft 2 being blamed which is just another piece of bull shit in my honest opinion. I do not know if i'm stepping on any toes with this thread but i would like to hear what you all have to think. now it is not only video games mind you. Should parents be brought into account, should parents keep a closer eye on their kids? Are their links to mental illness that could be a problem? i'm only saying what is being debated not my actual opinion. so, what do you all think?

[video=youtube;MHzTlkAGNIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHzTlkAGNIE

I think one of the best solutions is for parents not to allow their children to play games rated for mature audiences. If your kid is 12 years old, don't let them play M rated games!

Entertainment Software Rating Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia also has a pretty good page describing both sides of the argument.

Video game controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that is a great idea but i dont think it will ever happen. i think the logical argument is the news media from what we are hearing these days. about the shooter shouldn't be portrayed as some Anti-hero. focus on the victims and so on.in my opinion i think parents should keep a closer check on their own children who give off signs of rage. because there is no way of stopping it gun control seems like another logical reason. its a very trivial topic.

I would say to the OP that to some extent the media is to blame. However, there are too many variables so we can at most say it is partially to blame. The best thing is for children to not play M rated games, like TheAlpha said. Also like BillyMays said, if we controlled every possible variable including eliminating all guns in the world, people would still kill people for no rhyme or reason. The best thing to do is to make people realize that human life is sacred and not to be disposed of except in a few cases (War for JUSTIFIED reasons, execution of prisoners who commit heinous crimes, and self defense).

Vector, to your other questions, video games influence people. All media influences people, but it does not cause people to shoot kindergartners. It is my opinion that parents should have a stricter watch on their children (Without being oppressive, mind you) and on what the children do. All too often, parents attempt to be the child's friend instead of provider, teacher, and guardian.

As to the mental health aspect, seeing as how my major is Psychology, I can say one thing with certainty: We do not and will never know all of the answers. That being said, people who do these acts almost always come from a history of mental health issues that are never properly met. This is mostly because people view a mental health problem as something to be avoided, much like the plague. In reality, mental health problems should be viewed more like a physical ailment in that the person is not to blame. Seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist/counselor is more akin to being apart of a cult than it is seeing a Podiatrist. If we could fix this, then these people would seek and get help, and events would almost never happen.

As to gun control, yes and no. Some areas need to be changed. Background checks should be mandatory, and mental health records should be pulled. However, almost every single gun crime committed, is done so with an illegally obtained gun (1). So, limiting guns to those who will go through the proper channels is stupid at best.

Just my € .02.

(1): Source: Firearms and Crime Statistics

No one is to blame unless it's Hello Kitty Island Adventure, Barbie Horse Adventures, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, Secret of the Magic Crystals, and all those other very violent video games that exist