Aczel

Surf And Weapon Abuse

As of lately there have been problems on the surf server lately, there are people abusing the sticky jumper/rocket jumper to complete the map and reach the end of the map without actually surfing, this is a problem because at end of these maps there are usually power-ups in which give you an advantage for your work in completing the map.

When you are not completing it legitimately and use sticky jumper they are getting to these power-ups easier than intended to. This results in people getting frustrated with this abuse of special abilities in combat and leaving the server.

I have noticed that there is nothing in the rules against this action, with this thread I propose that we add something to the rules to help prevent this from happening. This I believe would be the most simple and passive way to put an end to this, should the community agree on it.

[spoiler=Current Rules]TF2 Surf Rules

Would be a good idea ; Not sure how to apply it.

If we simply put it as a rule (like for example, no spawnkilling), there would need to be an admin/mod online on the server 24/7. I don't think it would be possible to do it that way, without applying a permanent ban on these weapons. On the other hand, on arena maps, people love to rocket jump and sticky jump to do deaths from above.

Plus, to reach the end of the maps, surfing is waaayyy faster than sticky-jumping/rocket jumping. So personally, I feel like it would be a bit useless.

+1

We need to stop those guys ... Cause is a surf server , Not jump server ... they must to surf at the end not beat the map using the cheap way :( that´s not fair for surfers

I Agree, I think the people who do that should be Kicked for cheating on a Surf because while we try to do our best they (Demomen w/ Sticky Jumpers + Soldiers w/ Rocket Jumpers) Cheat.

Would be a good idea ; Not sure how to apply it.

If we simply put it as a rule (like for example, no spawnkilling), there would need to be an admin/mod online on the server 24/7. I don't think it would be possible to do it that way, without applying a permanent ban on these weapons. On the other hand, on arena maps, people love to rocket jump and sticky jump to do deaths from above.

Plus, to reach the end of the maps, surfing is waaayyy faster than sticky-jumping/rocket jumping. So personally, I feel like it would be a bit useless.

One of the biggest reasons I made this thread is because, since there is nothing in the rules that even dabbles into the idea that this is not to be done, Moderators and Admins can't exactly do anything about the situation.

Is there a way to make it so that you can't shooting a rocket at your feet or stickies doesn't knock you back in the surf area but it can in the arena?

Sadly no, as the server has no way of knowing who has been where. To have it map side the mapper would have to edit it, and we don't have the people who make surf maps on call; especially given some of them are from before TF2 was a game (eg. CS:S maps). Even if we could call them up I doubt there are tools in hammer that can stop knockback, but don't quote me on that.

I really do dislike how people abuse it then get benefits. I've also witnessed people who do the map with sticky/rocket jumpers, then kill people at the end and acting like they're the best. This would be a fantastic rule to add, or if we could just simply REMOVE the use of the base jumper. Keep in mind, some people just like to market garden with the rocket jumper. +1

Even if we could call them up I doubt there are tools in hammer that can stop knockback, but don't quote me on that.

What about the walls that are transparent to bullets on rocket jumping servers? Is there someway to integrate that?

I do like this idea, however it has multiple issues making it do more bad than good.

We would have to have staff on 24/7 to make sure no one is breaking that rule, forcing us to have to spy on all the demoman and soldiers making it a lot more difficult to focus on other rules being broken.

Even when staff aren't on, I highly doubt that anyone would bother to !calladmin on anyone breaking the rule as pretty much no-one bothers to read the rules anyway.

Good idea, but no. -1

Edited by TheSupremePatriot (see edit history)

What about the walls that are transparent to bullets on rocket jumping servers? Is there someway to integrate that?

If we had the mappers on hand, yes as it is a map-side feature. In fact certain maps DO have that feature to stop pesky little cheaters, but not all of them. So, essentially we are stuck with the problem of the mappers from times unknown being unavaliable to fix a little exploit with jumper weapons.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Is it not possible to implement a plugin similar to what JB has, that would restrict the use of specific weapons for certain classes?

I know ReSurfed has a plugin that prevents you from using certain weapons on each class. For example, if you try to go Soldier and you have ANY RL equipped that does knockback, it simply doesn't allow you to switch to that weapon slot while spawned in game.

That would surely fix it, right?

Is it not possible to implement a plugin similar to what JB has, that would restrict the use of specific weapons for certain classes?

I know ReSurfed has a plugin that prevents you from using certain weapons on each class. For example, if you try to go Soldier and you have ANY RL equipped that does knockback, it simply doesn't allow you to switch to that weapon slot while spawned in game.

That would surely fix it, right?

Hell no, If we disabled rocket launchers and sticky jumpers, we would lose a lot of players, get many complaints about it, a lot of people enjoy market gardening and sticky jumping because the maps have a lot of space to do so. And we just have a lot of regulars that play soldier and demoman.

Edited by TheSupremePatriot (see edit history)