Sign in to follow this  
WyleCavu

Community Culture and Acceptance of Minorities

I would actually like to stop the discussion until i get an admins opinion in addition to McNeo's.

I get the feeling that this actually isn't a welcoming and open community that the forum rules lead me to believe.

I'm an admin and this community is welcoming as long as you don't try to force your opinion down everyone's throat, but sure I've argued enough for today.

and most guys online don't know how to socialize with girls and they often draw attention to themselves on purpose.

And it is the guys' fault.

And don't even say black kids refrain from gaming because that's bullshit, they're all over it, maybe not PC games.

That didn't translate very well. I meant educated African Americans, primarily those who focus on the social struggles of the community. They are not the ones perpetuating words of oppression.

When girls who play videogames act like every other person it cuts down the "sexism."

Who are you to tell girls how to play video games? They can play however they want as long as they are not hurting or harassing you. Women also choose not to talk on the microphone or have feminine names because other users will act out, but that still isn't the woman's fault if other people cannot behave.

Who are you to tell girls how to play video games? They can play however they want as long as they are not hurting or harassing you. Women also choose not to talk on the microphone or have feminine names because other users will act out, but that still isn't the woman's fault if other people cannot behave.

I'm not telling how they should act, I'm just stating why and how the sexism happens over the internet. Sometimes the guys say mean things on the girls in game just to get the girl's attention because they like them, like how guys act like jerks to girls in real life, because girls fall for it and it works. You're not going to change others behavior but good luck.

First, what is the definition of racism? Racism is the term or diction of being discriminative towards a specific ethnic group of any kind, also due to your so-called "Psychology" experiences; it seems highly relevant that they are come across lessons concerning the human's thought process and many others factions related to affecting the human mind such as cultural properties, past experiences, etc. It is always generalized that the human mind is however limited, judgment is always second nature. Of course, this is purely obvious- and yes, racism is a problematic occurrence as you stated, but- it does not mean there is a possible miracle solution to easing human relations.

Hey, i first off want to say thank you. You have been one of the few people not to respond by perpetuationg the reason why i am posting here. Even if we end up disagreeing, i really appreciate the mature response. May your back be covered as a CT, and may your jail breaking be plentiful as a T, and may your steam wallet be full of cash.

I agree there isn't a magical solution to the problem. I do institutional research for a University, so i work with a lot of data that could be horribly misinterpreted. I took it upon myself to learn about women and African American rights so that i do not make a mistake in interpreting my data. I am always constantly looking out for interesting sociology lessons because psychology has had a bad history with ignoring how fluid personality and culture can be. We often make mistakes assuming things like homosexuality were once mental disorders.

Most people have recgonized that using certain words are wrong; this community has done a lot of that. But i think if people took the next step of just casually letting other people know they probably shouldn't say certain things. idk

Thank you again

You're not going to change others behavior but good luck.

But that is the whole principle to jail break. The rules of CSS use to be Ts vs CTs, kill each other. The rules of the game mode changes everyone's in game behaviors. When CTs free kill, other people say "hey dude, not cool", then they either stop or they continue. If they continue then they get banned/slayed/etcetcetc

You can change behavior and it is rather easy.

Thank you, by the way, for changing the tone of the discussion. I fell much more comfortable posting.

Holy shit.

TL;DR. And that's saying something if you know me.

This is an open and inviting community. Anyone can come, chat, play, hang out, whatever.

Hate to say it, but I think you need thicker skin if you want to internet.

I hear solitaire is nice and quiet.

[video=youtube_share;Ty3SArUjgvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty3SArUjgvQ

But that is the whole principle to jail break. The rules of CSS use to be Ts vs CTs, kill each other. The rules of the game mode changes everyone's in game behaviors. When CTs free kill, other people say "hey dude, not cool", then they either stop or they continue. If they continue then they get banned/slayed/etcetcetc

You can change behavior and it is rather easy.

That has nothing to do with what you and I were talking about. The jailbreak server is not what makes people say nigga, faggot, etc, the people on the server are going to use the same language and have the same mindset throughout every game they play. Them maturing is what changes how they act and the things they say.

Co-leader stepping in, step aside kiddies. (Totally joking I don't even lift feel free to stay)

Anyways my dear sir, let me explain my reasoning towards why I and others disagree with you. Yes, the internet does NOT have to have racism, it does not have to have cussing or words demeaning people's sexuality or mental conditions. Our server does not have to have any of those, but if we tried to change it, it will not benefit our community as we do not take things seriously, the fact alot of people don't care is because no one takes it too heart. Things have changed from the past, and unless people are intentionally being malicious, nobody really cares what is said to them, especially from "randoms on the internet".

We joke around in this community to some extent as this is the internet and many people take their emotions out on here since they might not be able too in real life. Do we condone being racist and beating up gays? No. In fact when the time calls for it, we are very strict when people are actually disrespecting but let me tell you this. The whole N-word fiasco has been around for about a 100 years or so, the people who play or socialize with our community do not care because it's done with in most of the world since slavery is non-existent in 1st world countries, and barely in 2nd or 3rd. Yes it exists in the world, but very minimal and it's usually not even a race thing.

I am white, you are white, Kenny wishes he was black but he is also white. A black guy comes on our server and Kenny says to me "my nigga" is that black guy gonna rage quit from our servers and never play again? No. In fact more likely he will try to acknowledge Kenny as one of his own but once he sees Kenny's tiny penis he will realize they can never be "Bros from the same Hood"

Your ideas are something that must target the internet itself, not our server. If we were a community that knew each other in real life, or if we needed to limit the people who can join us to say less then 50, then I'd agree we can do something. As of now though, to target a gaming community that is 17+, full of teenagers galore and a shooting game? Well you sir are barking up the wrong tree. You are very insightful, i'll give you that, and I personally am going into Psychology in University, but you honestly are pretty close-minded on the opinions of others.

TL;DR: We are not the problem, you must target internet as a whole with your ambition, not a public gaming community with thousands of new people monthly.

Thank you Aegean for your response. What type of psychology? Graduate or undergraduate? I have two tips if you are entering college for the first time; be a boss with 1. statistics and 2. take a Womens Studies and a African American studies class. Many students expect psychology is just about helping people, and then they find out it is a lot of statistics and research. The other hand is that psychology is often limited because people attribute findings to biology instead of the potential diversity of human behavior. Just have a basic understanding of two major minority groups can take a lot of the poop out of research.

When you take a research methods class and if you use SPSS, buy a version of it on StudentDiscount.com. It'll save you a lot of time and you'll be a lot more valuable if you become fluent on it.

but you honestly are pretty close-minded on the opinions of others.

I actually use to be part of this crowed. Take two years off my life and i would have been right there with everyone in this thread (4chan, lulz, umad?, etc). I would have cited freedom of speech or something like "if we use the word then we take away the meaning" or "you need to stop being ofended, it is just a wor I do feel uncomfortable talking about struggles of other minorities as a member to the majority, but there isn't a way to get around it.

Thank you for your response.

Edit: "TL;DR: We are not the problem, you must target internet as a whole with your ambition, not a public gaming community with thousands of new people monthly."

Perhaps. A lot of people want to end hunger in the world. However, they cannot just attack hunger. Research often teachers that when you do statistical tests, K.I.S.S., keep it simple stupid. Start fighting hunger by setting a small goal that X is going to feed Y children with two meals a day for Z months. I am trying to do the same by finding communities that are fun and friendly. When i find communities like that, then i'll support them anyway i can.

No I understand your logic, It's just you can't target a big community like Xenogamers, you have to start small. (: Feel free to start on smaller clans, possibly a G-mod clan of some sort!