Forest

Regarding The Calladmin Plugin

I forgot to mention, that it's pretty ironic TF2 made a reason to ban people by adding a server feature.

also you just suggested that we should both ban and silence at the same time, which would make no difference in the amount of bans

i really don't see your point, that's just contradictory to your earlier post

It's still progress reducing ban lengths, by combining it with silence. In the long run, it leads to less bans when moderators see how effective silences are.

The best way to describe it is a stepping stone. There's nothing really negative about doing it.

over 6-7 years. never cleaned out. including your mass group bans, admins trollbanning themselves/eachother, random hackers joining and getting instabanned, etc...

this really isn't a good point

It's a very good point that you're still not cleaning out with all the bans. Hackers are an exception, but trolling is a different story. There's always going to be someone new.

also, the total active bans: Total Bans: 4924

What's going to change when you actually get to 18000 active bans? Will trolls keep coming at the same paste? Will the only thing to show for, be a high number of people who can't join the server? One thing I can say for certain, is someone is always going to be abusing call admin!

Will this conversation come back up again when 50 more bans are created and nothing has really changed with the call admin situation?!? Or will it just seem like nothing because you already have thousands? Do you know what percentage will be ban protests, compared to other issues? Will it proportionally be the highest percentage, compared to other ban reasons?

Edited by Vertex (see edit history)

What's going to change when you actually get to 18000 active bans? Will trolls keep coming at the same paste? Will the only thing to show for, be a high number of people who can't join the server? One thing I can say for certain, is someone is always going to be abusing call admin!

Going at the same rate we're going at right now, we would reach 18k bans in roughly 18 years. I highly doubt xG will exist by then, and if it does, it's not really a problem that is relevant right now.

EDIT: Besides, it's not like they are permanently banned, it's a day ban for gods sake.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Okay, if you give a kid a button to press, what do you think they're going to do? Are they're going to press it and get banned? Or just pretend it's not there?

Before you actually use the command, it gives you an explicit message that says abusing calladmin will result in a punishment:

:thinking:

:thinking:

It's like giving them a gun, turning the safety off and telling them that abuse will be punished. You shouldn't give someone a reason to be banned, just like not giving a kid a gun because they might cause damage with it. That much is just common sense. It seems like you guys are banning for a problem you created, no wonder people are pissed and protesting.

Vertex I'm still kind of confused where this is going like people are given the choice of reading the rules or not (they're given a small list but it gives the player the option to view all of them). Now if they don't read them its their problem so if they don't agree with the punishment of breaking the rules its all on them. It really doesn't matter how harsh those punishments are because they're justified by this. Now not only are they warned in the rules to not abuse !calladmin they are ALSO given a warning before they submit their report as @Bello showed us. So already you have 2 warnings as to not abuse this command because they want to write ''xd le funny meme'' to the staff . Once they get banned its their problem for not reading the rules and warnings before their ban. Honestly I think the punishment we have now works perfectly fine and sends a message to the user as to never do it again.

-1 There is absolutely no reason to change the rule at all. The majority of the TF2 division agree with this fact.

A day ban is the standard for nearly all of our rules. The system for most of the rules is Warn -> Kick -> Day ->Week -> Month ->Perm. As trolling goes under this system generally, calladmin abuse should stay at a day ban as it's basically trolling. If there's a popup stating how you will be punished if you abuse the command, then clearly they know that if they are using the command with wrongful intentions.

Not to mention how getting silenced for a day is laughable whereas a day ban would send the message better.

I see no reason for debate here.

It's like giving them a gun, turning the safety off and telling them that abuse will be punished. You shouldn't give someone a reason to be banned, just like not giving a kid a gun because they might cause damage with it. That much is just common sense. It seems like you guys are banning for a problem you created, no wonder people are pissed and protesting.

What? It's our fault if someone abuses the plugin that literally warns them that they're going to get banned if they abuse it? By that logic we should just permanently silence everyone cause it's our fault for letting them say anything and possibly break a rule in the first place.

I'm sorry but that logic is just dumb

Just going to take the time here to tell everyone to calm down. Jesus, I haven't taken the time to look at the responses until now, and I see absolutely no reason for anyone to berate or otherwise respond in such a negative way to anyone. The intention of this thread was to discuss a possible alternative that would be mutually beneficial to both the Staff as well as the Player; that's all. Additionally, and I can't speak for Stickz, but is it a crime to want to improve our numbers by lowering the ban rate for trivial things? I see nothing but good intentions from Stickz, and yet it's all being treated in a ridiculously hostile way by the majority of those posting here.

This has all but been lost in translation, but the reasoning behind this was to support Players who would like a Staff Member on the Server then and there (from my perspective of posting this thread). Players who are otherwise disgruntled or frustrated are far more likely to abuse the system, but for good intentions; should they really be punished by being banned for a day for it? I get that it can be a nuisance to have to deal with spam in Steam due to the nature of the plugin, I really do, but when it comes down to it, is a day ban for alerting Staff really a good means to an end? A day ban doesn't seem like much to any of us, and I can guarantee that it certainly appears to be nothing to Staff, but do keep in mind that the Playerbase for TF2 does consist of a large number of younger Players; and I can almost guarantee that a good chunk of them will do whatever they can to play the game (on our Servers) or to otherwise enjoy it. I'm not ruling out the possibility of those who abuse the command for shits and giggles, but I just don't see how a minor inconvenience for Staff (messages in Steam) warrants a day ban; especially when it doesn't influence the Server environment to begin with.

At this point, it's clear that it's just wishful thinking on my part; but again, this was merely a suggestion that I thought should [at the very least] be considered. That being said, I'd like to #RequestClose this thread before it devolves any further as it has been poorly received and I see no reason to keep something up that is resulting in such turmoil.