hongkongatron

Enable Objectives?

What do we do fellas  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What do we do fellas

• Enable objectives
    • Keep them disabled

Despite how many times this topic has been brought up, it's been voted on way less, the topic being: should we enable objectives?

Although we have several trade servers, which are real trade servers, it's usually agreed upon by a large amount of the community that trading isn't their primary focus. Another point is that we don't even have many objective maps (8 out of them, a majority of which don't see the light of day), so there likely wouldn't be any harm in enabling objectives on maps that are meant to be played for the objectives.

An argument often used is, "Enabling objectives makes it so you can't trade" or "It disrupts trading." In what way is the objective distracting on a map like ctf_lava_giant where people aren't doing anything and sitting as engie in their base? Even though the maps are centered around the objectives, that's not the only thing you can do.

meh it still just a trade server and with rtd and stuff it basically ruins the point most of the time in having it as rtd will just let people easily cap and there are people there who just want to trade, not fight. There are only a few maps where I would be okay with it being on, such as hotel hell, from how favored towards red it is so it would be nice to see team switches to make it more fair for both teams as one team doesn't have to be raped the entire time. Also I'm pretty sure it used to switch automatically over a certain amount of time before but now the the objectives gone all together so idk what happened to that.

As much as I want objectives, as long as rtd and random crits are enabled there's no point because the games will be inherently noncompetitive.

Uhh...not everything has to be competitive you know...

Pub servers have random crits and objectives in the first place and who cares if it's not competitive?

meh it still just a trade server and with rtd and stuff it basically ruins the point most of the time in having it as rtd will just let people easily cap and there are people there who just want to trade, not fight. There are only a few maps where I would be okay with it being on, such as hotel hell, from how favored towards red it is so it would be nice to see team switches to make it more fair for both teams as one team doesn't have to be raped the entire time. Also I'm pretty sure it used to switch automatically over a certain amount of time before but now the the objectives gone all together so idk what happened to that.

The only example I can think of is lava giant.

For anyone who doesn't know, Lava Giant is a CTF map and if you noclip from one spawn to the other, you can just cap over and over and win the game, which obviously isn't very fun. If it's possible to make it so that the flags are turned on but you can't win on that map only but you can on the others that would be neat. Otherwise, I'd personally rather have the round come to an abrupt end when someone rolls noclip than have no objectives for any map at all.

Uhh...not everything has to be competitive you know...

Pub servers have random crits and objectives in the first place and who cares if it's not competitive?

Yeah, idk if you've ever played the game Team Fortress 2 before Kypari, but people tend to not like the "random" elements of the game (to the point of we ourselves removing random spread), and also evidenced by there being multiple binds mockingly stating that random crits are "fair and balanced". Just because the devs fucked up and continue supporting their fuck up doesn't mean it's a valuable contribution to the game. The only reason you'd want to enable objectives at all is if you want to have some kind of competition, and competition is pointless if it's left to random chance.

Just fyi I voted to enable objectives because idc, but my point was that it's pointless. If you didn't really win a round through your own skill it's no different than just not having won the round at all. There's no reward in just relying on rng gods to give you some advantage.

Yeah, idk if you've ever played the game Team Fortress 2 before Kypari, but people tend to not like the "random" elements of the game (to the point of we ourselves removing random spread), and also evidenced by there being multiple binds mockingly stating that random crits are "fair and balanced". Just because the devs fucked up and continue supporting their fuck up doesn't mean it's a valuable contribution to the game. The only reason you'd want to enable objectives at all is if you want to have some kind of competition, and competition is pointless if it's left to random chance.

Just fyi I voted to enable objectives because idc, but my point was that it's pointless. If you didn't really win a round through your own skill it's no different than just not having won the round at all. There's no reward in just relying on rng gods to give you some advantage.

Or you want to enable objectives because it's fun?

Or you want to enable objectives because it's fun?

It's fun when you're competing, yeah, otherwise it's just mindless DM (Like what we have now). My point is not that enabling points makes the experience any less fun, it just adds nothing atm.

Well, think about why so many people are on a trade server but not actually trading in the first place.

If they want objectives, they could just play casual mode or even TF2center.

I think it's because the trade servers provide a place to sort of relax and wind down. You could be fighting one minute and then making a huge dancing line the next. While enabling objectives would be fun and all, it might also detract from this experience.

Just something to consider.

Well, think about why so many people are on a trade server but not actually trading in the first place.

If they want objectives, they could just play casual mode or even TF2center.

I think it's because the trade servers provide a place to sort of relax and wind down. You could be fighting one minute and then making a huge dancing line the next. While enabling objectives would be fun and all, it might also detract from this experience.

Just something to consider.

We could at least actually make sm_cpenable command actually work because right now it enables the objectives but doesn't end the round when someone wins. You'd still have to do a vote for it though.

We could at least actually make sm_cpenable command actually work because right now it enables the objectives but doesn't end the round when someone wins. You'd still have to do a vote for it though.

That's a cool idea. Would be the same as spawning a boss, something you do to spice up the server, right?

So who would get the permission to use the command in that case? Staff? Donators?

That's a cool idea. Would be the same as spawning a boss, something you do to spice up the server, right?

So who would get the permission to use the command in that case? Staff? Donators?

I think only staff have the power at the moment, but it is possible we could use it for donators. If they abuse it they lose their powers anyway.

We will not be enabling objectives on the trade server. For those that were not yet aware objectives have been re-added and can be enabled by staff, just as in the past.

-closed