Sign in to follow this  
Hidingmaster

Help.. Please?

You made it this far, thanks. Anyway, i'm looking into building my own gaming computer, but have 0 experience doing so. I've watched videos and read articles, and overall I feel like its simple enough that I can do it.

I really would like some feedback on the parts I have so far, and please point out an issues with compatibility if there are:

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz $219.99

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit $59.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $96.24 after rebate

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 $194.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache $55.57

APEVIA Mid Tower Case in Green $59.99

Windows 7 Home Premium $90.91

Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive $49.99

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $69.99.

In addition to:

24" Viewsonic LED 1080P Full HD monitor (already own)

Cheap mouse and keyboard, for now

Thinking about doing:

Crucial M4 2.5" 64GB SATA III (SSD) $81.99

----This would only be for: Windows 7, Steam, Chrome, and a game or two

I want this to be a great gaming PC, with lots of room for upgrades later as well as be able to handle every new game at medium or higher settings.

Grand total with everything:

Approx $1000 w/tax

I'm not sure about the motherboard, case, or the power supply...

Thoughts?

In a gaming computer the main three components to put your money in for performance is;

- Processor

- RAM

- Videocard

You seem to have really good ones.

Also, remember that you should be getting a power supply that connects all of your sata ports. You don't want any IDE ports.

And with 8 gb's of ram. You are required to have 64bit OS. Make sure your win7 is 64 bit.

I'm also new to gaming computers, so that's pretty much all I know.

Edit: Oh, you listed the powersupply.

it all looks good and like Gkoo said you mainly want to put money into the processor, Video card and RAM. although not as much in the videocard since some games are now using things other than the video card... anyway sofar it looks good but remember just because it costs a shitload of money doesnt mean its good.

Its a reat build, you seem to have all te main parts for a gaming pc, BUT if you can get your hands on a gtx 660 Oc edition ( I think they are going fo like 229.99 but on sale for like 199.99 ) This g-card is great. Some of my friends have it and they say its awesome

I would highly suggest you get a high watt power supply.... 600 isn't all that much... and it'll really suck if all your stuff isnt getting enough power, I suggest somewhere closer to 1000watts for a gaming build...

Don't get SSD, they are highly overpriced right now and for a desktop isn't worth it, they are more worth it in a laptop because they dont have moving parts so if you are moving with your laptop it'll work well, also if you drop your laptop it is less likely to fuck up the harddrive. What i suggest you get instead is something called a hybrid hard drive, it is a hybrid between a normal harddrive and SSD:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5" Internal Hybrid Hard Drive/1306576688.p?id=mp1306576688&skuId=1306576688&st=hybrid hard drive&cp=1&lp=3

It is way cheaper and you get a shit load of space compared to SSD.

Also, if you do get a 2.5 inch harddrive, such as the hybrid one, MAKE SURE YOU CAN MOUNT IT IN THE TOWER YOU ARE GETTING! Normal desktop harddrives are 3.5 inch but some towers do have the mounting brackets for 2.5 as well

Thanks for the help so far, I really do appreciate it. Made my first purchase today:

Samsung 128gb SSD ($89.00)

Thermaltake Smart Series 750W ($64.00)

Got lucky with both of these deals, better stuff and saved a few bucks overall... I'll probably keep this thread updated, mostly for me, but if you guys want to see the whole process then it'll most likely all be shown on this thread.

Thanks for the help so far, I really do appreciate it. Made my first purchase today:

Got lucky with both of these deals, better stuff and saved a few bucks overall... I'll probably keep this thread updated, mostly for me, but if you guys want to see the whole process then it'll most likely all be shown on this thread.

The SSD is a serious waste

Not really. It improves speed drastically when booting up and loading applications. Plus if your rendering, the write speed is insane.

It would be a waste if I were to use it for documents like Word or Pictures, but its going to have Windows 7, steam, chrome, and a few games on it. It's only there so booting and shutting down is sped up, which an ssd will do. In many cases it reduces the start up time more than 50%, if not more (I've seen it do it in 15 seconds, versus 2-3 minutes).

Not really. It improves speed drastically when booting up and loading applications. Plus if your rendering, the write speed is insane.

It's a waste, it's highly overpriced... you can use the hybrid drives to do just as good... but with 5-10 times the space available for the same price

It would be a waste if I were to use it for documents like Word or Pictures, but its going to have Windows 7, steam, chrome, and a few games on it. It's only there so booting and shutting down is sped up, which an ssd will do. In many cases it reduces the start up time more than 50%, if not more (I've seen it do it in 15 seconds, versus 2-3 minutes).

I understand what you are using it for.... and I dont disagree with it, but what I am saying is that... you can use the hybrid SSHD drives instead, they provide similar performance but give you far more space on them...

I have both a SSD and a SSHD in my computers and the performance between them is the same as far as I can tell

Well even so, ill end up having 1tb plus the 128gb drive, all for ~150 - 160 dollars. So in this case im getting more space for the same price. Had I not gotten the deal i did today ($30 off the ssd), then it may have been a little different.