DarkWolf6052

Deleting servers for CS:S *POLL*

Which servers needs to go for CS:S?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Which servers needs to go for CS:S?

@@DarkWolf6052 Paying for a staff position is on sale 2 days ago. Where have ya been? Ha.

That was TF2. Did you not read it?

it was for ALL servers. Did you not read it?

ai42.tinypic.com_o9pd37.png.6dc9f7cc90d855538aa8a0f050fd0a5e.png

With the "budget" for CS:S, as far as I know, them being a dedicated server means one set cost for all the servers(The number of servers currently doesn't effect price or something like that)

Silence mainly wanted to clear up used resources. Maybe to speed up them?

I don't know, he mentioned this while saying he needed $65 dollars and $55 more dollars. That was when the CS:S servers were shut down, and the website was scheduled to go down at 3AM.

Less servers on the box means less resources needed and also reduced bandwith usage.... most hosting charges more for more of either of these things...

Not sure tho if the idea is to remove servers so that we can get a cheaper box/hosting plan tho? or just to speed them up or even to add new better servers like ZRiot! :cat:

That was TF2. Did you not read it?

ai42.tinypic.com_o9pd37.png.1d396e586f4184583c4110a739d8f86e.png

that negro africanus i'm on to your shit. you edited it... i'm watching you. he's selling for everything though. we never stopped selling it.

Can we get confirmation as to why we are dropping some servers? Its just something I would like to know, not really any use to it other than to cure my curiosity. Obviously if its not a one price for all the servers then by all means drop as many as we can. I've always wondered what the cost is to keep CS:S servers up and running, and I think this insight may help the community better understand what it takes to keep everything running... best case this leads to more donations.

I change the names around to mess with people who say one has better reg then the other ;)

LMFAO do you actually do that, cause that is AWESOME!

Can we get confirmation as to why we are dropping some servers? Its just something I would like to know, not really any use to it other than to cure my curiosity. Obviously if its not a one price for all the servers then by all means drop as many as we can. I've always wondered what the cost is to keep CS:S servers up and running, and I think this insight may help the community better understand what it takes to keep everything running... best case this leads to more donations.

CS:S isn't a huge priority in terms of the amount of servers we have. We are looking to expand other divisions but CS:S takes up 55% of the boxes resources.

ai42.tinypic.com_o9pd37.png.505891d1bebc4efdce51533a73be1cab.png

that negro africanus i'm on to your shit. you edited it... i'm watching you. he's selling for everything though. we never stopped selling it.

TF2 was getting a discount

Had to make a new account just for this one occasion, Don't you dare get rid of slide race, The time silence has spent on that server is unreal. #longLiveSlideRace

I'm the developer of the Build Wars plugin; for whatever reason, Rhododendron linked me to this thread. I suspect it's because the plugin was paid for and he doesn't want to see the money wasted by having to shut down the server. Currently, this community hosts the only USA based server out of a dozen or so v3 clients, and only ~5 of those servers have any degree of ranking to show population. That alone should be bringing in some population, but it seems there's a bit of a barrier. As Rhododendron is my only contact with this community, I'm not familiar with its practices or how the servers are maintained, but as I regularly have people adding me on steam asking when I'll be throwing a server back online with the mod, there appears to be an issue.

When I hosted the plugin under my last community, Ominous Gaming, the server was regularly bringing in 12 ~ 16 players for most of the day with it only de-populating in the wee hours of the morning for averages of 3 to 6 hours. Since the mod has engine limitations that put it at a maximum player cap of 20, that traffic was fairly well for a private mod. That player base should have been displaced when I shut the server down in August, and as Xeno Gamers hosts the only other server, they should have migrated over here (and they may have, but have left for whatever reason). Now as for the reason I've spent the time to reply. I really have no interest in starting a community up again, nor do I have the funds to justify hosting a server to get these players to stop pestering me. If the community has thoughts as to why the mod is not preforming well, or perhaps suggestions on how to improve the game play experience, I'd like to hear them. I've recently begun development of the mod again after a several month hiatus, and while I've taken strides to reduce the difficulty of hosting it, the game play elements remain mostly unchanged.